Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need for iron?

Default Need for iron?

OK, so we started feeding our 6 month old solids. I thought it would be "fun," but it's turned out to be more work than I imagined. Several sources I've read claim that at 6 months you must introduce solids because your breastmilk no longer produces the amount of iron that your baby needs. So far, (on a good day) my LO will eat bananas, sweet potatoes, pears, or carrots--none of which contain ANY iron. So, my question is... is the need for iron thing a load of crap, or do I need to be feeding her something different in the way of solids?
    Betsy, Mom to Maggie, born naturally 4/29/07.

Default Re: Need for iron?

Its controversial... some say after 6 months babies need more iron that what is in breastmilk and others say breastmilk and only breastmilk is fine for up to a year. Cereal (rice or oatmeal) has added iron which is why peds are always pushing it- it is however a different form of iron that what is in breastmilk is not the easiest to digest or absorb. That being said if you have reason to believe your lo is anemic or are worried about his iron intake than try cereal or take to your ped about an iron suppliment. Other than iron though infant cereal really isn't that nutritious.

infant cereal is thought to be SOOOO iron fortified!!! when it actually has so little of it. One serving size (like an oz dry cereal) has only 7% of the iron requirements of a baby....so that being said (and plus an oz of cereal is way more than a 6 month old is willing to take, and it´s tasting), I believe BM IS the MOST IMPORTANT source of iron....plus it´s the perfect kind of iron that will be absorbed in 100%....

I actually do mix some cereal into my LO´S veggie and fruit purees, just to thicken it up a little, and I don´t use baby cereal (I do´nt agree on the sugar content and lack of fiber), I use regular Quaker oatmeal or brown rice.
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to

Actually, sweet potatoes have iron.

I just bumped the thread I started since Sam's mama gave a whole bunch of nice links for me to read.

-Reena
    due Mid-March
    Sarah's daughter z"l - Rich's wife b"l - Sarit's (27 March 2007) mother am"v
    Self Proclaimed Baby Wearing Fanatic
    ing our cloth diapers

Sweet potatoes have good amounts of iron and giving it along with some vit C rich fruit can increase the absorption.

Thanks ladies. This board is AWESOME. I don't know what I'd do without it!
    Betsy, Mom to Maggie, born naturally 4/29/07.