Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Issue with Pumping at Work

Unhappy Issue with Pumping at Work

Hi,

I need advice from you all.

I am a new mom who is contracting for a great company, and they are planning on hiring me when my contract is up, in a few months. For the past 4 months, I have been pumping 10 minutes 3x/day using a tiny kitchen in between the offices of the HR Director and the HR Manager.

There is a tiny fridge in that kitchen (shared by the HR Manager, HR Director, and the Receptionist) that I used until the Receptionist & HR Manager let me know a few weeks ago that the fridge was too crowded for my "stuff". I keep it in a discrete cooler bag, and although I still feel uncomfortable hauling it around the office (to a larger fridge) each time I have to pump, I can understand that I need to share it (even though any of them could easily store their lunch in the main fridge/kitchen). The reason that they gave me for not being allowed to use that fridge is that the new HR Director needed the space in the fridge

Just today, the Receptionist asked me how long I was going to continue pumping, in the long term. I didn't answer her question, as I don't think it is her business, but I just asked her why she needed to know. She replied that she needs to let the HR Director know. I asked her if he had said anything (as in a complaint), and she said "no, it's illegal for him to say anything about it." Then she mentioned the fridge space issue again (which was resolved). This Receptionist has a history of being a trouble maker. I'd like to go the HR Director directly and see what the problem is (if there really is one), whether it's the noise of the pump, space in the fridge, or what. But I'm not sure if I should do that considering my status as a contractor - and I don't want to cause trouble before I am hired or do anything that could change that from happening. Should I go to my supervisor instead? I already had her troubleshoot the fridge issue the first time. I'm trying not to get a reputation as a militant lactivist; I am trying to be discrete. I'm just feeling like my rights and dignity are being tread upon. I would appreciate your thoughts and advice. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks,

Stephanie

Default Re: Issue with Pumping at Work

I think you should talk to the receptionist supervisor, I assume the HR director, and ask if there are anything they would like to talk with you about and mention that the receptionist had asked you some questions on their behalf.

I'm just feeling like my rights and dignity are being tread upon.

I think you said it right there, I'd talk to HR about it. I don't think you have any unreasonable requests and you've been more than gracious moving your things to the larger fridge. If you get this worked out and agreed upon, then if anyone gives you any hassle you can just tell them that things have been worked out and the way you are doing them is how they are going to be.
    I had someone ask me once how long I was going to pump I said, till I'm done.

I would "casual" mention to the HR director that the receptionist sent a message to you on his/her behalf about how long your pumping and your wanted to know if there was a issue.
    As far as storing it, can you use one of those cooler bags with the freezer inserts...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

It sounds like the receptionist may be trying to stir something up...

I agree with pp that you should talk to the HR person and mention that the receptionist was asking questions about your pumping plans.

As far as storage goes, did you get a black Similac bag at the hospital? Ours had a small storage bag with freezer packs in it...they stay frozen all day and keep my milk really cold. (That's about the only thing that formula is good for )
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

It sounds like the receptionist may be trying to stir something up...
    I agree with the pp, I think she may have an issue with it and/or is actually the one stirring things up. People play games and do stupid things at work unfortunately and get their 'rights' mixed up and all out of whack.

In your situation, I would very discreetly talk to the HR director. Mention that the receptionist brought up to you how long you will be pumping. I would frame it in that you are trying to be proactive to make sure there aren't any concerns and that you enjoy your work there, etc. How long you pump is none of their business. I was asked this recently by a co-worker, I don't see why the hell it matters what I do on my breaks. I have co-workers that smoke, some that make long distance personal calls in our conference room, another who goes swimming/works out, why the hell does is matter if I'm hooking my boobs up to a machine for 20 mins? Argh, sorry I'm getting riled up again

Also, I don't put my milk in the fridge at all. I have a medela pump, and I put the freezer pack in and my milk is nice and cold in the evenings still when I get home. I don't have to worry about petty co-workers making an issue out of where my milk is, etc.

Good luck to you!
    Last edited by LunaticLibrarian; November 20th, 2007 at 11:18 AM.

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

I would talk to HR ASAP. I went through something like that and I wish I would have spoken up sooner.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk