Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Which brand of pump?

Default Which brand of pump?

Hi there,

I am expecting my second child in late July. I BF'd my three year old daughter for over two years and used a Medela Pump in Style for brief separations from her (I work part time teaching Pilates and yoga, so a few classes and/or private sessions a week plus the occassional "me" time or date with DH) .

As far as I know and can remember the PIS works fine. I hated it, though, and in fact quit pumping as soon as I could--probably after a year or so when she was eating solids regularly and drinking cow's milk.

I got about 4 ounces (sometimes as little as 3 ounces and rarely as much as 6) from one breast consistently when using the PIS, and often pumped while nursing because it took about 20-30 minutes to get that much. It was uncomfortable (verging on painful), awkward, and I couldn't wait to stop. My biggest issues were the tubing pulling the bottle/flange over and spilling precious milk and the discomfort/pain of having my nipple sucked through the flange. I adjusted the suction frequently to try to find a comfort zone, to no avail.

My question is, should I try a different pump? Are my complaints just part of pumping or is it the kind of pump?

I have heard great things about the Avent Isis, even as a manual pump, and the Ameda Purely Yours. I hesitate to spend the $$$ on a new pump but I plan on breastfeeding and pumping at least a year again with this baby. Keep in mind that I will only need to pump enough for one or two feedings a day for 2-3 days a week. I rarely pumped in absence of the baby, only enough to have a few feedings' worth for when I was gone. I am also leaning toward the Avent Isis Uno. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!
    Heather

Default Re: Which brand of pump?

Hi Heather-
    congrats on your second baby - hope all goes well with the delivery. I use the Medela Symphony and I love it! It's a hospital grade electric pump, but my insurance pays for the rental. I've been using it for 9 months now and have had no problems. I also would recommend that whatever pump you decide to use, invest in a hands-free pumping bra. No more spills or trying to keep the bottles and shields on. Here's the one I got:
    http://store.babycenter.com/product/...cessories/3747

I pumped for months without it, and I can't believe I ever got along without one!

Lisa
    pumping for b/g preemie twins for 9 months

Congratulations on your new little bundle of joy!

I work full-time (so I do a lot of pumping). I use the Medela PIS and love it. I have never had any of the problems that you had, though. Does your pump have a little stand for the bottle to it doesn't tip over? I purchased the Avent Isis and had no luck with it - took me hours (I'm not kidding) to get a full bottle. For me, the Medela PIS works much better and it worth the extra $.

pumps are a very personal thing, what works for one woman doesnt for the next. like everything, i guess.
    it can be worthwhile to try another pump if you've had problems with yours. pumping shouldnt be painful, but if its not that bad and you dont want to spend the extra $... its up to you.

You might check to see if the breast shield is a good fit. Here is some info:
    http://www.medela.com/newfiles/faq/b...hield_fit.html

Thanks for all of your input. I actually found a new (to me) Medela product called the Soft Fit Beast Shield and I am going to try it out when the time comes. It looks like a soft silicone cup that fits onto the PIS connector and makes it more like the Avent Isis, massaging the breast instead of just sucking the nipple/areola through the breast shield. Since that was my issue with the PIS, maybe this will be the solution. If not, I will try a bigger shield and if all else fails, perhaps a new pump!

Heather