Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I have to pump?

3kidsMommy is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Do I have to pump?

Okay, Lo didnt have good weight gain between 2 and 4 months.
    We moved, I supplemented with formula for like 2 days (stupid mommy)
    I want to stop the formula. Do I have to pump? I have no pump, I could rent one but right now coming up with the 75 or so to do so wouldnt be easy.
    Lo doesnt like to nurse once theflow slows down so getting him to suck more isnt working....I just dont know what to do!

Default Re: Do I have to pump?

I haven't dealt with supplementing, so my experience is coming from never doing that, so bear that in mind.

I pumped with DS#1 for a couple of months, and then I became a SAHM and didn't pump one drop after that. With DS#2, who's now 20 mos. old, I have never ever pumped, and he's never had a bottle of any kind or supplementing of any kind. I have noticed personally though, that in order to nurse exclusively, I have to feed on demand, and that that is much more frequent than any of my friends who either supplement or fully formula feed.

Formula takes longer to digest than breastmilk, so I would suggest that you cut out the formula bottles one by one, and just breastfeed your baby much more frequently. The baby at the breast is the best at increasing milk supply....and supply and demand are intertwined. If you are only supplementing one or 2 bottles a day, you could probably just cut them out all together and nurse more frequently, but if its more than that, you might need to eliminate one at a time and wait for your body to build up your supply.

You may find that you're nursing every hour or so until your milk supply increases, but that's a good thing...the more demand, the more supply. Just keep a close eye on baby to be sure he/she's getting enough and check those wet and poopy diaper numbers to make sure there's no dehydration.

Try searching the LLL main page for info about breast compressions. That can help a baby when the slow flows down and they don't want to actively suck after that.

You can also try making sure that any bottles baby does have are on the absolute slowest flow nipple available. The slower the flow, the closer to the breast they will be and baby will handle the slow flow at the breast easier if the bottles are slower flow too.

Try contacting an LC for help as well IRL...or contacting your local LLL leader. Sometimes real life helpers can catch something that us online folks can't see.

the more often you put the baby to the breast the more milk you are going to make. IT will be beter in a few days.
    a few bottles of formula isn't too much.
    You can try and hand express too. thats helpfull to some moms.
    maybe this will help
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

Quote Originally Posted by 3kidsMommy View Post
    Okay, Lo didnt have good weight gain between 2 and 4 months.
    We moved, I supplemented with formula for like 2 days (stupid mommy)
    I want to stop the formula. Do I have to pump? I have no pump, I could rent one but right now coming up with the 75 or so to do so wouldnt be easy.
    Lo doesnt like to nurse once theflow slows down so getting him to suck more isnt working....I just dont know what to do!
    To keep LO nursing longer, you can try breast compressions and switch nursing. Basically, when the milk flow slows down, gently squeeze your breast with a c-shaped hand. You should see LO starting to actively suck and swallow again. When the sucking slows down again, release your hand and squeeze again at a different angle. When the compressions start to seem ineffective, switch baby to the other side and repeat the process. Keep this up as long as baby is willing.

It may seem that all you are doing is nursing for a few days, but this is a highly effective way to boost supply and get baby off of supplements in a short period of time.

Keep us posted!

Tiana