Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: The need to supplement with formula!!!!!!!!!

Unhappy The need to supplement with formula!!!!!!!!!

It is really breaking my heart to do this but for the past week he has been getting a few ounces of formula a day. I have been pumping my a** off and I am beginning to wonder if it is worth it!? My son takes 3-4 6 ounce bottles a day while I am gone. I only pump around 15 ounces a day. This is my pumping schedule:
    7:45 10 min
    10:00 10 min
    12:30 15-20 min
    3:00 10 min
    I have also started pumping whenever I am driving except in the evening when I am on my way home..I save it for him so that he can nurse. I take 4 fenugreek pills 3x a day and my supply will not go up!!!! I hate to supplement with formula.
    I need help!

Default Re: The need to supplement with formula!!!!!!!!!

I have read in a few places that up until 6 months our little babes should be having only 3-5 oz per feeding. I know 6 oz is not much more than the higher of that but is it possible your lo is guzzling the bottle down, would trying to slow the feedings down help at all? Maybe your lo will realize they are full sooner if they are going slower.
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

Quote Originally Posted by NAOMI View Post
    It is really breaking my heart to do this but for the past week he has been getting a few ounces of formula a day. I have been pumping my a** off and I am beginning to wonder if it is worth it!? My son takes 3-4 6 ounce bottles a day while I am gone. I only pump around 15 ounces a day. This is my pumping schedule:
    7:45 10 min
    10:00 10 min
    12:30 15-20 min
    3:00 10 min
    I have also started pumping whenever I am driving except in the evening when I am on my way home..I save it for him so that he can nurse. I take 4 fenugreek pills 3x a day and my supply will not go up!!!! I hate to supplement with formula.
    I need help!
    I completely understand how you feel. I pump 20oz a day and my daughter drinks 16oz a day (I pump 10 times a day). At one point I will have to begin supplementing with formula, again. I somehow got ahead of my daughter. But at one point she was getting a bottle of formula every other day. I learned to cope and deal with the fact that she had to have a little bit of formula. And you know, by accepting that I think my supply went up as I was now relaxed and not staring at the drops in my container anymore and I also knew that she is getting some breast milk and every drop that she gets is PRICELESS! It may not seem worth it ...but dont give up yet! You have made it so far already. Trust me, I almost gave up at 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks, etc and each time I told myself I can do this a little bit longer and she will get a little bit more breast milk. Sure enough she is now almost 8 weeks old.

And honestly, this forum has helped me a lot. I learned that I am not the only one out there! Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by christinem View Post
    I have read in a few places that up until 6 months our little babes should be having only 3-5 oz per feeding. I know 6 oz is not much more than the higher of that but is it possible your lo is guzzling the bottle down, would trying to slow the feedings down help at all? Maybe your lo will realize they are full sooner if they are going slower.
    My daughter was guzzling way too much down sometimes so we went to rythym (sp?) feeding on advice from my IBCLC. This helped slow her down and can help bring baby back to breast. Every 10 or so sips take the bottle out of her/his mouth for a couple of seconds and repeat until done.

Unhappy Re: The need to supplement with formula!!!!!!!!!

Unfortuantly I know the daycare will not do rythm feeding. I am a t a loss.

do you prepare the bottles?
    You could cut back an oz a bottle and see what happens.
    Does baby nurse any at night?
    sometimes adding an extra night time feed helps some moms.
    Breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing either, supplementing isn't the end of the world!
    what about slow flow nipples on the bottles? maybe new nipples would help they do need replaced after a short time.

I do prepare the bottles but if I put less in them they split up the bottles and add more. We use slow flow nipples. He nurses at night sometimes once sometimes 4 times just depends on him. We co sleep so that he can eat whenever he feels the need.