Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iron supplements?

Default Iron supplements?

My LO is 7 1/2 months old. We just started solids a couple of weeks ago. So far she's had mostly "orange" soup (sweet potato, squash, carrot and onion) and chicken soup (just the broth and the carrot.)

I have not been giving the iron or Vit D supplements that are recommended by pediatricians where I live.

What's standard by you?

Thanks,
    Reena
    due Mid-March
    Sarah's daughter z"l - Rich's wife b"l - Sarit's (27 March 2007) mother am"v
    Self Proclaimed Baby Wearing Fanatic
    ing our cloth diapers

Default Re: Iron supplements?

Our pediatrician said that we needed to watch DS iron intake, but never mentioned supplements for either iron or vit d.

I chose to concentrate on making sure that my DS ate plenty of foods that are high in Iron, and also Vitamin C foods because the Vit C helps with Iron absorption.

Some resources on iron rich foods, and also on foods with lots of vitamin c (helps with iron absorption):

http://wholesomebabyfood.com/Iron.htm
    http://askdrsears.com/html/4/t043100.asp

another good vitamin c food is watermelon

When they checked DS at his 12 mo checkup his hemoglobin levels were fine.

As for Vitamin D - we get something like 350 days of sunshine here and DS outside for a little bit most days. So our pediatrician has never suggested Vit D supplements.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Yeah, I was curious what US peds were saying. The whole Vit D thing seems silly to me since I live in a sunny place and despite my best attempts at protecting the baby, she still gets sun. I guess it depends on your lifestyle, but as BW parents who go for walks, I don't see how she can be low on that.

About the iron: I know she got all her placenta blood and it just seems counterintuitive that she should need any supplements if she's nursing, KWIM? Now that she's a bit older, I guess it's an option, but I'd rather not give her something if she doesn't need it.

On the other hand, I take folic acid and calcium for myself (and future embryos) but somehow it doesn't feel the same.

I'll go check your links.

Thanks,
    Reena
    due Mid-March
    ing our cloth diapers

More info about Iron:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

The American Academy of Pediatrics acutally does recommend Vitamin D supplementation:

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;111/4/908

Rickets in infants attributable to inadequate vitamin D intake and decreased exposure to sunlight continues to be reported in the United States. It is recommended that all infants, including those who are exclusively breastfed, have a minimum intake of 200 IU of vitamin D per day beginning during the first 2 months of life. In addition, it is recommended that an intake of 200 IU of vitamin D per day be continued throughout childhood and adolescence, because adequate sunlight exposure is not easily determined for a given individual. These new vitamin D intake guidelines for healthy infants and children are based on the recommendations of the National Academy of Sciences.
    Kellymom.com on Vitamin D

Given the sunlight we get here - I'm happy to go with my pediatrician not recommending Vit D. If I lived somewhere where it was dark / cloudy most of the winter I'd probably consider Vit D supplements.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Bumping this for the other person who just asked about iron.

-R
    due Mid-March
    ing our cloth diapers

Ok, I'm freaking out now. I haven't given any Vit. D to Laith so far. (nor iron) He goes out a little every day near sunset. What are the signs of early rickets?
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Andrea, I don't think you have to worry--rickets, as I understand it, is pretty rare. If he's exposed to sunshine I would figure he's probably ok.

We give a vitamin supplement, but without iron. I try to give him foods that are a good source of iron, although honestly sometimes not much food actually goes in (though it is certainly spread around; the floor and high chair are definitely not iron-deficient ). I am unable to take iron supplements of any kind, so I am really hesitant about giving him anything like that. He gets some sunshine, so I think he's ok as far as the vitamin D, but it's included in the vitamin he gets too.

Rickets

Also called: Rachitis

Rickets causes soft, weak bones in children. It usually occurs when they do not get enough vitamin D, which helps growing bones absorb important nutrients. Vitamin D comes from sunlight and food. Your skin produces vitamin D in response to the sun's rays. Some foods also contain vitamin D, including fortified dairy products and cereals, and some kinds of fish. Your child might not get enough vitamin D if he or she

* Has dark skin
    * Spends too little time outside
    * Has on sunscreen all the time when out of doors
    * Doesn't eat foods containing vitamin D because of lactose intolerance or a strict vegetarian diet
    * Is breastfed without receiving vitamin D supplements
    * Can't make or use vitamin D because of a medical disorder such as celiac disease

This is from MedlinePlus. I'm not sure about the breastfed part; there are lots of people who breastfeed and don't give supplements and have absolutely no problem.

My doc told me at our last visit I had to start dd on the vitamin D supplements because we live in Alaska and it is dark alot here. I am using the enfamil vitamins that also have the iron. Does anyone know of any vitamin D supplements that don't have iron in them?

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Tally View Post
    My doc told me at our last visit I had to start dd on the vitamin D supplements because we live in Alaska and it is dark alot here. I am using the enfamil vitamins that also have the iron. Does anyone know of any vitamin D supplements that don't have iron in them?
    Enfamil Tri-vi-Sol has no iron (it is just A, C and D vitamins). Poly-vi-sol also has a version without iron. Also some just D vitamins are available online and in Canada.