Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello and please send positive thoughts

Default Hello and please send positive thoughts

I researched, read books, and attended a breastfeeding class before giving birth to my daughter.

I was lucky because the hospital where I delivered had lactation consultants. My daughter is a tongue sucker so we're still using a nipple shield. The hospital also has a weekly breastfeeding support group and the lactation consultants are continuing to help me wean Natalie from the shield.

Anyhow I am glad I found this forum. I love my daughter more than anything..but nursing is so tough sometimes. She seems to want to nurse all day. The lactation consultant told me to make her stop after 40 minutes and give her a supplemental bottle. I have the lansinoh double electric pump..so far Natalie has never had formula. Last night I was so exhausted and in tears and my husband went and bought formula to "top" Natalie off. I still haven't used it. I feel like a failure if I give my daughter formula. But at the same time I never get a break! During teh day I cannot shower or anything.
    Proud Mom to Natalie Morgan! Born 10-29-07
    **WE'VE MADE IT BEYOND 6 MONTHS BFING!!!

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Hello and please send positive thoughts

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter! Just remember these are early days yet and things get better. I wasn't even exclusively breastfeeding but I couldn't put my daughter down for the first 6 weeks or she would cry and cry. I would sit on the couch and my head would bob as I tried to stay awake.

You need to sleep. If you don't want to give formula, can you somehow pump the other breast while she's feeding so you have someone else can feed her breastmilk while you nap??

Believe me, I know how hard it can be when your ideal breastfeeding dream turns into a struggle. Just hang in there- if you can make it through the first few difficult weeks and months, it gets so much easier! Way easier than bottles and formula are.

The round-the-clock feeding may be due to a growth spurt. If so, it should pass in a few days once your baby has your supply upped to where she needs it to be.

It's great that you're weaning from the shield- it can slow milk transfer, leading to meals taking longer, and one nursing session running into the next.

If you can't take a shower, how about a bath? A nice warm bath, with just you and your daughter, might be good for 2 reasons- first, you'll get clean and feel more like yourself, and second, your baby may decide that the skin-to-skin contact is making her hungry and latch on without the shield.

Just hang in there! Keep pumping, and don't feel bad about giving the occasional bottle of breastmilk so that you can get a break. More than likely you'll be donating that unopened formula to a homeless shelter before long.

Hang in there, mama! Your baby is very young and still needing to eat lots and lots. And she's still learning how to BF, so it takes longer. As she gets older, she will get much more efficient and will give you a break between feedings! I promise it will get better. The early days are exhausting, but they're worth it. You're doing a great job!

BTW, I think Natalie is a beautiful name!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Hi Sarah!
    Don't give up! Babies go through growth spurts around 3, 6, and 12 weeks of age, and they nurse constantly during them - it looks like your LO is right in the middle of a growth spurt, judging by her birthday! That being said, my daughter was a constant nurser too for the first 6 weeks or so (even not during growth spurts.) Now she is going to be 12 weeks old this Friday, and she's the one who gets mad at me if I try to nurse her too much! So much has changed in the last 6 weeks.
    I had the same feelings that you do now -that you're nursing constantly, trapped in the house, etc. - but it really does get better. My daughter is what many people described to me as "high needs" (read: fussy!) She hated the carseat and would cry incessantly when we took her out, she nursed continuously, and she would only sleep if one of us either had her on top of us, or were next to her in the bed. All of these things have gotten better and better. Now we take our trips out to friends' houses and to the grocery store, and she is able to sleep without one of us with her the whole time.
    Hang in there - you're doing great!
    Oh, and about the formula - many people disagree about the use of formula. My personal opinion is that, while breast milk is the best (and nursing with mom provides much needed bonding), it won't hurt your LO to get formula occasionally for whatever reason. I had to use formula to get a jump start on pumping milk for my husband to feed while I work part time. My LO is no worse for it!
    Good luck - remember, being a mom isn't easy, and breastfeeding can really be a challenge early on. You came to the right place - I got tons of much needed advice and support here during my first few weeks.
    Last edited by ea1973; November 19th, 2007 at 12:28 PM.
    and lots of cloth diapers!

Estela Kimberly, born August 31, 2007 and Sasha Julia, born September 3, 2010

Hang in there, Sarah. I've been through a similar craziness. It gets better. Try to stick it out until six weeks.. the hormones settle and life seems doable again, even when things don't drastically change with your lo - and your lo will drastically change too!

I'd mention the marathon feeds to your LC. It is totally normal for a baby to do that, but it never hurts for your team to be aware of challenges like that, and it might indcate something different (did in my case: http://forums.lalecheleague.org/showthread.php?t=38436) These few weeks of craziness are so worth it, though, and you can do this!

Hang in there. Is going to get better. I been breastfeeding my daughter for 9 weeks and I can say I'ts been a wonderfull experience. My daughter is a very good eater. I had doubts and questions like everybody, but with the help of this forum I feel like a "pro" now. Now I'm a breastfeedind supporter!!!

Wow thanks for the support. I am reconsidering going out of town for Thanksgiving. It just seems like too much stress right now.

We still haven't tried the formula. I don't get much of a chance to pump because of the constant nursing. Plus Natalie wants to be held all the time. She was 3 weeks old on Monday..and I figure she feels secure when she is with me. She is used to my voice from when I was pregnant and now she gets all of her nourishment from me..so right now she wants her Mommy all the time.

I am glad to read things get better! I hope I can get out tomorrow to go to the breastfeeding support group! I feel so isolated from the world and life. I decided the other night I need to relax and just try enjoy this time with Natalie as much as possible.
    Proud Mom to Natalie Morgan! Born 10-29-07
    **WE'VE MADE IT BEYOND 6 MONTHS BFING!!!

awe 3 weeks prime time for a growth spurt.
    The more often she nurses the more milk your going to make.
    Some times its normal for them to want to nurse up to 12 times in 24 hours during a growth spurt.

Hang in there mama. You are not alone. Natalie is just going thru a growth spurt, it can be difficult. Take a nap when she naps. The first couple of months will be quite a challenge but you will get thru this. IMO, traveling at this moment may add more stress on you .