Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids beyond one

Default Solids beyond one

Wondering about after one year old and if the teeth cause her to want to mostly nurse like right now, what are the more essential nutrients that are starting to be needed that aren't as adequate in BM anymore. If she'll eat only little bits, I guess I'm thinking I should try to maximize the most important foods. Is it protein?, iron?,certain vitamins? or what that is most needed from solids beyond one? Or all?

DD1-Nursed 12/06-9/08
    DD2-Nursed 12/08 - 10/10

DS - Successful VBA2C May 5/11 and

Default Re: Solids beyond one

From what I understand - the big nutrition needs for a toddler are: protein, calcium, iron & fat and all the vitamins & minerals

Some info on nutrition for a nursing toddler here

and lots of links to other resources at the bottom of that page
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

So from the %'s I see there, sounds like its pretty OK and not to worry if she goes all out boob during teething bouts. :cool, I love being able to comfort her teething with nursing and was worried I should try not to do so as much beyond one. thx

DD1-Nursed 12/06-9/08
    DD2-Nursed 12/08 - 10/10

DS - Successful VBA2C May 5/11 and

My DS has multiple food allergies so we've been working with a dietitian. The advice I've gotten is to make sure to offer DS food 5 to 6 times a day (my DS gets: breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, snack, dinner) and that the foods we offer are "nutrient dense" which basically means things that have lots of vitamins & minerals and provide a complete nutritional package - "foods that contain a lot of nutrition per unit of weight and volume". From what I understand - this means things like lots of whole grain products and fruits & vegetables and avoiding highly processed foods and foods that are "empty calories". I've read some experts that recommend having a "nibble tray" of snacks available for grazing (such as Dr Sears), but our dietitian recommended having MANY meals / snacks available throughout the day and that food be eaten at the table (when possible) rather than on the run. may just be experiementing with what works best for you and your LO.

I usually offer solids before breastfeeding .... but that hasn't slowed DS down much at all. At almost 16 mo he's nursing 5 - 6 times a day and will often eat a big meal and then want to BF afterwards.

Also - from what I understand of toddler nutrition, it's best to look at how much and what they are eating over a period of several days to a week rather than getting hung up on day to day eating patterns.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)