Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not eating enough!??!

Default not eating enough!??!

my son just turned 3 months and he's been a great breastfeeder from the beginning up until the past couple days. he will indicate that he's hungry and latch on no problem, then after less than 10 minutes he is pulling off because he gets gassy or falls asleep, after burping him, changing diaper, etc. he is uninterested in nursing anymore and will cry and get upset if i try to put him back on the breast (tried switching breasts also). he will then contentedly go back to playing, or sleep and go another 2-3 hrs. without being hungry. he had "normal" eating sessions up until now, plenty for 30-45 min.and seems perfectly happy in every other way. he also went through plenty of "growth spurts" where he was eating practically every hour. could he just be taking a "break"? could it be from me eating spicy foods?!?!

Default Re: not eating enough!??!

It's possible he just became more efficiant and able to eat faster then before. If he seems happy, then things should be fine. What's his diaper output like?

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

he goes through probably 8-10 diapers a day. i thought maybe he was being efficient too, it's just that he's never cried and gotten so upset when putting him to breast before if he wasn't hungry he would just turn away with his mouth closed.

Quote Originally Posted by taramoon13 View Post
    he goes through probably 8-10 diapers a day. i thought maybe he was being efficient too, it's just that he's never cried and gotten so upset when putting him to breast before if he wasn't hungry he would just turn away with his mouth closed.
    He's just getting more vocal and active. It sounds normal. If you are really worried, keep an eye on his weight, but it sounds like he's just getting more active and expressive.

Yep, great diaper output. He does sound like he's discovering his voice a bit more so being much more vocal and expressive about things he does not want.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Its not uncommon for babies to get more efficient around that age! It sounds like his diapers are great, which is a better indicator of how much they are getting.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)