Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Trees and Toddlers...

Default Christmas Trees and Toddlers...

How do you combine the two? Is it humanly possible?

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Default Re: Christmas Trees and Toddlers...

I think we are putting the christmas tree inside the playyard and keeping the kids outside of the playyard.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

When my older kids were little, we had a sofa and a loveseat. I put them at right angles to each other with a wide space in the corner. I put the tree in the space and put a baby gate so it was wedged between the sofa and the loveseat. The baby still couldn't be in the room unsupervised, but she couldn't get to the ornaments, either. This year, we're waiting to put up the tree, because I have no good way to keep the baby out of it. I may put it in our breakfast nook, which the baby is gated from. It will make Christmas morning interesting, because we'll be opening the presents in another room.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyG View Post
    I think we are putting the christmas tree inside the playyard and keeping the kids outside of the playyard.
    Us too!

We put our tree up in the living room a few days before we decorated it just to see how Mady would take to it. She paid no attention to it, so we decided just to leave it there and decorated it yesterday. So far, so good. She hasn't touched it at all. If she does start to though, I can close off the living room to keep her out.

Forget the toddler, I'm used to watching her every move all day anyway, but the cats are another story. In general to guard against them batting at fragile things I only put unbreakable ornaments on the bottom half of the tree. That's probably a good thing to do around kids too, no?
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilahsmama View Post
    In general to guard against them batting at fragile things I only put unbreakable ornaments on the bottom half of the tree. That's probably a good thing to do around kids too, no?
    I didn't put any breakable ornaments on this year either!

Quote Originally Posted by Lilahsmama View Post
    Forget the toddler, but the cats are another story.
    This is our problem as well, My cats climb the tree and knock even the top ornament off, they get tangled in the lights, jump out from under it and bite toes! This year we bought a prelit fake tree, I am hoping this will help

We have a tiny little house so we have a tiny little 4 foot tree. This year I am putting it up on an end table so DS won't be able to reach the bottom limbs.
    Amanda Wife to my wonderful husband 06_98
    Breastfeeding, Sling Wearing, Co-sleeping, Cloth Diapering Mom to my Intact Boys
    DS #1 - 02_02 BF'ed for 9 Months and
    DS #2 - 10_06 Currently BF'ed 22 Months and still going.

We have a fake tree and we plan to hang Baby safe toys rather then the normal stuff on the bottom 1/2 of it.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk