Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: human milk vs cow milk

Default human milk vs cow milk

I know this has been on here many times before. I am looking for some links to articles, or facts, or just general info. I haven't started ds on cows milk, because he still nurses quite frequently. He does get calcium through yo-baby yogurt, laughing cow cheese, and cottage cheese. Do I really need to start him on cows milk anytime soon? I don't do juices, and he usually just has water with meals. MIL insists he needs to start cows milk because he is a year old. Isn't HUMAN milk, better for a HUMAN baby? What is the big rush? I was going to wait until he is 2. And then introduce organic cows milk. I've heard bad things about homogenization. Its all so confusing.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Default Re: human milk vs cow milk

The short answer is NO. You don't have to introduce it EVER really. YES human milk is MUCH BETTER than cow's milk EVER is for babies. And really, we are 30% of the population of the planet and eat and drink about 70% of the dairy.(USA) So it's completely possible to live a healthy dairy free life. The reccommendation to introduce dairy has to do with the Assumption that most people will wean at or around theat point due to the AAP skewed reccomendation of "Breastfeeding is best for at least the 1st yearand should continue as long as it is mutually beneficial to both mother and child". People take this as the year point is the end. And if you were going to completly wean, cow's milk would be a good way for your baby to get calories very quickly as a way to make up what they will be missing if completely weaned to solids by this point. My son will be two next month and I tried to introduce whole milk when I put him in daycare part time around 14months. He was interestd and we didn't push it. Because I am still breastfeeing and I know He doesn't need it. He drinks basically only breastmik and water. He's fine. Don't feel pressure because of your MIL or even your Pedi. As long as your child is drinking your milk twice a day or more, you are fine.

Way too lazy for formula

The short answer is that your toddler needs lots of calcium & good fat in his diet (as well as iron and protein and all that other good stuff).

If a toddler is eating dairy (yogurt, cheese, etc) those are all great sources of needed nutrients.

Breast milk continues to be a great source of nutrition for toddlers.

If your LO is not able to eat any dairy (such as allergic to milk) then continuing breastmilk is a fantastic source for needed nutrition.

Other "milks" (soy, rice) are not good substitutes because they don't have the necessary amounts of fat.

So - no, your LO does not need to drink cow milk, but he DOES need to have sources of calcium, fat, protein, vitamin D, itron, etc in his diet.

Nutrition for a nursing toddler

calorie & fat content of various milks (including breast milk)
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    The short answer is that your toddler needs lots of calcium & good fat in his diet (as well as iron and protein and all that other good stuff).

If a toddler is eating dairy (yogurt, cheese, etc) those are all great sources of needed nutrients.

Breast milk continues to be a great source of nutrition for toddlers.

If your LO is not able to eat any dairy (such as allergic to milk) then continuing breastmilk is a fantastic source for needed nutrition.

Other "milks" (soy, rice) are not good substitutes because they don't have the necessary amounts of fat.

So - no, your LO does not need to drink cow milk, but he DOES need to have sources of calcium, fat, protein, vitamin D, itron, etc in his diet.

Nutrition for a nursing toddler

calorie & fat content of various milks (including breast milk)
    Thanks for teh links! I've been worried lately about the amount of food my LO eats, and the first link made me feel a lot better!
    Amber, mama to

Henry 11~13~06
    Allergic to dairy, soy, egg, peanut, all tree nuts, wheat, barley, potato, chickpeas, pea

Georgia & Miles 7~7~10