Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wieght gain issues

Unhappy wieght gain issues

Hello!

My DD is 10 weeks old and when we started out she gained weight slowly but steadily, in the 25th centile.

Now, she has slowed to below the 9th. She put on 3.5oz in the last week and my health visitor has said I should start supplementing with formula - I really don't want to but am concerned for my baby's health. She poos/wees just fine and is alert, showing no signs of dehydration etc
    We do have issues breastfeeding - she only eats for about 5-10 mins at a time, very often refuses the right side altogether and sometimes screams and screams whilst latched on (either side) and refuses to eat any more...

breastfeeding is *hard*!

Can anyone help??

-Lil

Default Re: wieght gain issues

My DD is the same way (started at 50%, then 25%, now probably less than 10% - she's 10 lbs at 3 mos). I considered formula as well but didn't do it, and thankfully my ped didn't suggest it either. The most imp thing is that she has wet & dirty diapers and is alert, active & meeting milestones. As for whether she should be eating more, check out www.kellymom.com & those boards, also this link - http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

There are a ton of posts about weight gain issues that may be of some help.
    Good Luck!!

I'm a little late chiming in on this...I'm wondering if there is an update?

Lil:

Wanted to add that on average my DD gained 3 oz a week over 3 mos (which is less than the average 5-7 oz per week) but as I said, she is alert, happy output good etc... so the dr wasn't worried. There may be other issues you can get help with b/c of the fussiness & crying (maybe she has gas - mine has reflux & often cried at the breast) but I wouldn't go to formula just on her weight alone. I ended up eping for awhile b/c she wouldn't latch on well & I ws concerned she wasn't eating enough. Now that I am back to work she is bottle fed EBM during the day & nursed at night & early am- (just one side b/c latch is better) - its been a much smoother ride lately and she went to 4 oz per week the past 3 weeks!

Good Luck!

Hello!

An update - DD is still not gaining weight as she should - only 2 oz in the last week. Disappointing as she's actually been feeding well all week.Our Health Visitor is still trying to get me to supplement but I'm reluctant as other than the weight gain, Abigail is happy. She's alert, attentive, keeps learning new things (she's discovering that she's in charge of moving her hands - very exciting! ) and poos and wees regularly (usually just after I've taken her nappy off... ).

Anyway, I've decided to give it til she's three months old - about another 2.5 weeks, and then give myself permission to quit without feeling overwhelming guilt, as it's so stressful. Also, I keep getting migraines (hormone-related) so for my health the doctor is saying that is probably related to bf. *sigh*

This probably isn't the forum to tell people but if at three months it's not less physically and emotionally extremely stressful then I will swap to formula. I don't think I could do half-and-half really, I'm an all-or-nothing person!

thanks to everyone for their support. Hopefully it will all resolve itself and I'll carry on bf until she's much older!

-Lil

Lil,
    This is EXACTLY the forum to tell us what's going on, what you are thinking of doing, etc.! That is what we are here for!

I am sorry that you are still feeling stressed about you baby's weight gain and now you are experiencing headaches on top of that! Sounds like you have a lot going on! <<<<hugs to you!>>>>

According to LLLI the average weight gain for a breastfed baby is 6 oz. per week during the first 3 to 4 months, though some healthy babies may gain more slowly. Has your dd been near this at all, or somewhat below it?

Is she being checked on the same scale with the same amount of clothes on every time? Weight checks can fluctuate due to these things. You mentioned your Health Visitor, but has dd seen a doctor? What does he/she say about her development and weight gain?

Many situations of slow weight gain can be helped by improving breastfeeding management. How often does dd feed in a 24-hour period? For how long? Does she come off breast on her own? Does she switch sides? Do you have signs of a let-down? Does she have plenty of wet diapers daily and BM's regularly (this can vary). Does she actively suck and swallow when feeding? Can you hear swallowing? Does she use a pacifier? Have you tried breast compressions?

WHEW!

I know that is a lot of questions. But the answers may help us see a little more clearly what is going on!

Thanks,

Hello! I’ve posted a few times on here with various bf problems – and everyone has been fantastically supportive, so thank-you. However, after 11.5 weeks of constant screaming every time I tried to feed my daughter, and having tried absolutely everything, I’m afraid I quit!

Basically, I got to the stage on Friday night where I actually felt suicidal (‘she’d be better off without me, I’m starving her’) and realised with a bang that bf is not the best thing for either of us if that’s how it makes me feel. I gave her a bottle of expressed milk, having tried to bf for 1.5 hours and having only met with screams, and she wolfed it down. I got a second bottle out of the freezer and she wolfed that down too! She ate 8 oz, and she’s only 10lb and would only ever bf for 5-10 mins, so she really was desperately hungry.

I’ve come to the conclusion that she really really doesn’t like breastfeeding – it may well be that she wants to sit bolt upright when eating, or look around at the world, I don’t know. I just know that since I made my momentous, emotional, incredibly hard decision the screaming has stopped and she’s finally eating properly. I pray that she will start to gain weight now too. I’m sure this won’t be the last time that she doesn’t want to do what I think she should!

I will try to feed her as much expressed milk as poss for as long as poss, until my supply fails me. She’s happy to eat the milk from a bottle, so despite all my dietary changes etc it obviously wasn’t the milk itself that was the problem, thank God.

So, thank-you so very much to everyone on this forum for all your kind, supportive words. I couldn’t have made it as far as I did or make this decision without you.

I’ll now go and hang around the pumping forum for some tips…

You have done great, and you are not a quitter! You are doing the best you can by you and your baby, and you are going to still provide her with your milk. That is not quitting-that is just how life goes sometimes!

<<<Hugs>>>

After typing this all up, I read your update and realized that you've stopped direct nursing at this point. I think it's fantastic that you are continuing to give her expressed breastmilk though! Also, have you considered that you may be suffering from PPD? Please consider talking to your doctor about the feelings you've been having -- your baby needs you!

Like I said, I realize that you've stopped direct nursing at this point but I think these things are worth mentioning for any other's reading this thread.

I'm sorry you are feeling so frustrated with things but I really think you are doing the right thing by watching your baby rather than the scale. You may want to read this, by Dr. Jay Gordon -- Look at the Baby, Not the Scale

That said, if your baby is having weight gain issues, does it really make sense to start feeding her something that offers fewer calories? Breastmilk is higher in fat and calories than formula. Not to mention all of the other things breastmilk offers that formula does not.

I'm wondering, have you tried block feeding? That's where you only nurse baby from one breast for a specific period of time -- say, every 3 hours. So for instance from 12-3 whenever baby wants to nurse you only nurse from the left side. Then from 3-6 you only nurse from the right side. An empty breast (or one that is more frequently nursed from) has a higher ratio of hindmilk which is the milk with more fat in it. This could help her to gain more.

Smile Re: wieght gain issues

a final update for anyone following my saga!

I am bottle-feeding exclusively now and it's like a weight has been lifted. I feel happier, and my DD is happier - and gaining weight! hurrah! She still only gains slowly, I think she's built that way, but as she is now gaining I have stopped worrying.

Thanks to everyone for their interest and concern - I think I was sinking into depression (i recognise the signs as we have a family history) and this has now cleared since I've stopped fighting my poor little girl every time i try to feed her. I am hugely encouraged by the response to my 'quitting' on this forum - i expected condemnation and instead i got loving support. A great advert for LLL.

I guess there are just some babies who don't like breastfeeding. Weird, but true. Apparently, my mother now tells me, I hated it too and was happy once bottle fed - so, genetic??! I am still managing to express just about enough for the whole day, so she will still get the benefits of breast milk - once a day we have to supplement with formula, but I can live with that.

so, it all ends happily ever after i hope...

thanks again
    Lil