Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby squirms & tugs my nipple back and forth!

Default Baby squirms & tugs my nipple back and forth!

Does anyone know why my LO will be feeding and then suddenly squirm and arch his back and then start twisting and turning with my nipple in his mouth? It hurts! I know I should unlatch but when I do that, oftentimes he won't get back on to finish feeding and instead will fall asleep or just not be interested in eating anymore. Sometimes, this happens when he is pooping but other times not. And I don't think it's a sign that he's full because he'll sometimes do it within just a few minutes into a feed.

Default Baby squirms & tugs my nipple back and forth!

Does anyone know why my LO will be feeding and then suddenly squirm and arch his back and then start twisting and turning with my nipple in his mouth? It hurts! I know I should unlatch but when I do that, oftentimes he won't get back on to finish feeding and instead will fall asleep or just not be interested in eating anymore. Sometimes, this happens when he is pooping but other times not. And I don't think it's a sign that he's full because he'll sometimes do it within just a few minutes into a feed.

Default Re: Baby squirms & tugs my nipple back and forth!

I don't know, but my son does it too. He used to do it alot more, but he doesn't do it too often anymore. I think it's just one of those weird things babies do.
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

I've been through this..
    There were times where I'm waiting for him to rip my nipple off- he pulls back and shakes his head. OUCH!! But I have definitely found that it happens most frequently when he's tired and wants to comfort nurse - thank goodness for pacifiers!!!!
    I've heard efficient eaters can empty a breast in 5-7 minutes! Could be your LO is wanting to comfort nurse and the milk is coming out too fast. OR could be the milk is not coming fast enough and they're getting frustrated.

I've found with my lo that when he does this it's from gas. Take him off and burp him. If he falls asleep try tickling him or blowing on his neck to give him a chill....

Smile Re: Baby squirms & tugs my nipple back and forth!

PROBABLY GAS THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT MY LO WOULD DO. UNLATCH BURP AND IF LO DOESN'T LATCH BACK ON DON'T WORRY. BABY WILL NURSE AGAIN WHEN HUNGRY. MY LO WOULD NURSE VERY QUICKLY FROM ABOUT 6-8MIN THE LONGEST EVER OF 11MIN.

Wink Re: Baby squirms & tugs my nipple back and forth!

My ds does the same thing and I tend to think that it is gas but I could be wrong

How old is your LO?

5 weeks

My understanding from 7 months of dealing with my sons Gastroesophageal Reflux is that frequent squirming, tugging, and especially arching, are signs of discomfort or pain. Does your baby cry during or after nursing? Any spitting up, and if so, is it accompanied by crying or arching? My used to really yank my nipples around when he nursed. Now that his pain is under control, he doesn't do it as much, but honestly he is still pretty rough sometimes and I think at this point some of it is just personality. I would be sure to bring it up with your pediatrician to rule out pain as the culprit.