Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it possible?

Default Is it possible?

I have a four month old DD and a freezer full of EBM. I have had lots of battles with nursing and am so happy that I made it this far. I am in the process of weaning for many reasons. Mainly because I have had to pump so much to keep my supply up, and am tired of daily pumping. I have enough EBM for her to continue to have a bottle or two a day for probably a month or two longer. My question is whether I can continue to nurse once a day in the morning, or will my supply not last after getting rid of the other feedings. This is the only calm feeding of the day with her and I would love to continue with this feeding. The rest are met with squirming, crying and fussing due to reflux....another reason why I am ready to wean. I figure that one nursing plus two bottles a day is better than none. Just wanted to find out if it's possible to keep just one feeding or if eventually my milk with dry up. Hope this all makes sense.

Default Re: Is it possible?

Hi! Congrats on your hard work and efforts! You have given your child a wonderful start. BF does not have to be an all or nothing experience, either. From my understanding, You will have milk for as long as you continue to nurse. There are many moms our there who, through the natural weaning of the child, get down to just one nursing a day for a long long time. Additionally, if you can keep that one feeding in, your child will only need 2-3 oz of milk to reap so many of the continuing benefits! Also... if you continue with your one feeding and decide later on that you would like to increase the feedings, the laws of supply and demand will allow for this as well. I encourage you to find a balance that works for you! Keep us posted!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

I don't encourage people to stop nursing, but I also understand this is a personal decision that only mom is able to make and only mom will know what works for her. Like Kristie said, it doesn't have to be all or nothing; with my first baby I weaned her closed to six months but I still had enough BM to last her once a day until she was eight months +, that was her favorite bottle I left it for before bed and she drank every bit of it until the collapsible liner got inside the nipple (it kind of hurt my feelings to see how much she enjoyed my milk and I was running out of it).

I think it's possible for your body to adapt to one feeding and as long as the baby keep nursing it should be fine.

I also want to congratulate you on working hard overcoming your problems. Enjoy your little girl!

Thanks for the tips. I would love to keep nursing, but it has finally gotten to the point where hubby has asked that we stop. IIt has put a lot of extra stress in the household because I was never ok with stopping thru all the tough times. And a lot of crying and feelings of guilt came with thinking that I was not able to feed my baby what is best. He has been supportive up until this point, but now I feel ok about stopping because I am not being forced to. I havehad great lactation counselors helping me and have been much more successful than when I had my son two years ago. Maybe with the next baby I will be able to BF without supply problems or the pump. I'll be committed to it again and will fight thru the struggles too. Even my mom, who nursed me for 18 mos, has encouraged me to stop due to the stress it has added to my family. I am just grateful to have so much EBM to continue to give her. Is it better to give her a smaller bottle every day for a longer time, or more milk per day for a shorter duration? I her to get the most benefits from the EBM. It is so precious to me!

The longer you can give her nothing but breastmilk, the better, at least up until she is 6 mo. Also, if half her feedings were breastmilk and the other half formula, that would have more benifits than if only one or two were breastmilk. Of course, even just one breastmilk feeding has huge benifits!

I am curious how you know you have supply problems? It would seem to me that if you have been exclusively feeding your dd and also have a huge stash of frozen extra breastmilk, that you do not have low milk supply at all.

My supply issues are mainly because of problems at the beginning. With my son, he slept for four weeks and could not be roused enough (even by a LC helping me) to eat well and stimulate my supply. By the time I realized there was a problem, he had lost a lot of weight. Of course the doc recommended suppl. which probably hurt the situation more. WE also weighed him before and after feedings to see how much he was taking in and he wasn't taking in enough. I got bad advice to not pump by one LC. She hadn't spent much time with the baby to see that there were problems with him. Anyway, I nursed and supplemented him for four months. I regretted stopping and wanted so bad to nurse my daughter for longer.
    With my dd who is four months, I went into it more prepared. I hemoraged after the delivery (which I have heard can effect milk production) and wasn't able to nurse like I wanted to when she was really alert. She was jaundiced and had to be on the bilibed for a week and the nurses literally made me feel guilty for taking her off to nurse her often (I know it doesn't make sense). It took a week for my milk to come in, and because of the Jaundice, I was again told to supplement to try to get rid of the billi. I also wasn't told that a jaundiced baby could have nursing problems, so did not understand why she couldn't latch on and didn't want to nurse. I started pumping at the hospital (after having to beg for a pump the first day) and ended up having a lot of nipple problems because of the constant pumping (and no milk yet.) We then realized that DD had bad reflux and some kind of bacteria in her system causing excessive gas, fussyness and spitting up. She would cry for hours on end all during the day and night. I knew it wasn't just newborn gas and I'm glad I pushed them to take a better look. Before we were sent to the GI doc, we tried everything including taking her off of breastmilk and on the yucky hypoallergenic formulas. During this time I was continuing to pump becauseI didn't think the formula was the answer....this is when the freezer supply began. I pumped around the clock and froze it all. Also, at this point my supply was doing well and I was basically making enough for her, but had to diligently pump. So to say it was all a supply problem isn't really accurate. We then got her onto antibiotics and probiotics for the bacterial problem and things seem to get better. Her reflux then caused her to start choking on vomit in bed at night. The solution was to thicken just the nighttime bottles to prevent it coming back up and choking, so we gave her formula for those feedings. My DH was giving her the bottle and I would pump and freeze the milk for later (always the plan was for when I stopped nursing). After this problem was solved she began having more stomach pain. Nursing ended up being a screaming battle for her and we did try lots of positions and elimination diets. So slowly I have replaced some nursings with bottle feeding EBM (which she likes), but the pumping with a two year old and infant does take it's toll in the end. If I miss pumpings, my supply goes down quickly and then I am left feeding EBM, pumping and still having to supplement with formula. All along the way I was exhausted and frustrated that I was doing everything I could to nurse her and she was still crying in pain from all of her problems. I am grateful that she got so much BM because she really does the best on it, but it's time to stop. I feel like I have not been able to trully enjoy being a mom to her because I have been constantly stressed about nursing. She has a new bout of tummy trouble....with no answers right now. My supply has decreased because of all of the bottles that she has gotten and she is miserable when nursing (all but that first nursing in the morning). I hope that you all don't think I'm selfish wanting to stop....I have literally had lots of well meaning people who see how miserable I have been telling me to quit since the start and I haven't. I have taken it one week at a time....each week being a miracle in my books. If I didn't have so much in the freezer, and she was happy nursing, I would keep on nursing a few times a day. Obviously some of the problems have been caused by her health issues and hopefully with my next I will have a wonderful experience nursing and not have to screw it all up with supplementing. Sorry for the long post...that's why I originally jsut said "Supply issues." I did think you all would think it strange that I had a freezer full of BM.

Wow. That is a lot to go through. I am sorry. Ds was also jaundiced, but I am very glad no one even suggested suplementing. We certainly had our share of problems, but I know suplementing would have just caused so many more.

Don't worry what other ppl think of you either way; you and you alone can make this choice, and no one has any right to judge you.

You're not selfish at all, a lot of moms will give up for much less than you and there is not doubt you've gone through some rough times.

I would like to add my two cents on something I read on your post.

Her reflux then caused her to start choking on vomit in bed at night. The solution was to thicken just the nighttime bottles to prevent it coming back up and choking, so we gave her formula for those feedings
    BM is best for reflux, the reason why is that formula take longer to digest having more opportunity to acidify on baby's tummy and backup into the esophagus. The best thing to do is nurse frequently and let her suck as long as possible; sucking produces waves of muscle contractions in the esophagus that move food toward the stomach (something that you won't get with a bottle since is not the same sucking pattern).

Although I advocate for nursing all through the first year, it's obvious than you're not enjoying it right now which is may cause you stress and expending less quality time with baby. I think is better to have a happier mommy; I know for experience how tedious pumping can get. You did as much as you could and I'm pretty sure you gain a lot of knowledge from this experience which you can use to help others and even yourself if you have more kids. What's in the past it's in the past, make the best of what you've now and enjoy it.

Keep taking a day at a time!

Kudos to you for following your heart and making the decision you believe is best for your family. I too was concerned to read that your baby suffers from reflux. Do you have confidence in your pedi GI doc? A baby with reflux can take a huge toll on a family; it's worth pushing your doctors until you get satisfactory treatment. God bless you for dealing with all this when there's also a 2 year old in the house! Hope things get better soon.

Thanks for all the support. I am a little frustrated with the docs because my daughter is gaining weight, they tend to not really take her reflux seriously (now that she isn't choking anymore) Besides meds, they haven't really offered me any other solutions. I went thru the same with my son, but he wasn't as uncomfortable as she is. I have her four months appt next week and plan to talk to the doc about my concerns. It may mean going back to the GI doctor for the third time. She is not a happy baby still at four months.