Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New issuse - no pump!

Default New issuse - no pump! - UPDATE!!

Ok so there is mildew in my tube... I have to wait until tomorrow to call and see if anyone sells them local.. if not I have to order one online..and it wont be here untill the weekend...so what do I do in the mean time. My lo drinks about 20 oz while I am away at work. I only have 8 in the fridge!!! I am trying to hand pump, but that's not going too great If I do give him formual for the next 3 days, how do I keep my supply up?
    Last edited by @llli*babygurl; November 19th, 2007 at 11:50 AM.
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Default Re: New issuse - no pump!

Well you can always pump and dump until the good tubing comes in. Not the ideal option as you dont want to throw milk away but better then engorgement and it will maintain your supply kwim?
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

What kind of pump do you have babygurl? Medela has a spot on their web site where you can locate people who sell the pumps, replacement parts, or other products here. Here is the same type of thing for Ameda where you can select someone who sells spare parts. I know you posted about a babywearing meeting, but I can't quite remember where in MI you live. Maybe you could pick the part up in person? Otherwise, I would think that pumping and dumping like kaykate23 suggested would probably work, as long as you don't think the mildew could spread to other pump pieces. HTH

I sure hope it's not spreading... wow, pump and dump, that just seems like so much hard work to do... I am trying to express by hand, but I aslo have a swollen eye so I don't know if I am getting in the the cup or not (can't see very well). I am going to call a few places tomorrow. I have a Medela Swing.

Most LCs keep them in stock as they also rent out pumps. (The one I worked with gave me an extra set for my PIS.)

So I haven't found it locally and I won't have it until after Thanksgiving....I don't want to use the pump with that tubing at all from fear of mildewing other parts... I don't know what to do....

anyone?!?!

did you try and bleach it out?

Hello,

Okay, if it was me, this is what I would do. I'm sure someone will jump my case for this, but hey it's your supply and your kiddo needs some milk! The baby is taking the milk that's going into the bottle, it doesn't run through the tubing anyway. So, I wouldn't be too worried, then again, that's just me.

I would run bleach through the tubes and get some fuzzy yarn, shoe string or something, and with hot soapy water clean out the tubes. I would probably run bleach through before and after, and heck you can even boil them for a few minutes if you're really eager. Finally, I would also run rubbing alcohol through them to get the water out, and to also kill any other thing that might be in there. Finding something you can thread through the tubing to scrub it out might be hard. There are these tiny brushes that come with the Dr. Brown's bottles and those might fit, with some thread and a pin on one end you could drop it through, then pull the thread and then pipe cleaner/brush through. It's worth a shot.

I get condensation in my tubes when I pump, and usually I leave them hooked up while I'm taking my bottles apart and let them run for a few minutes. This gets all the condensation out. Occaisonally I clean them up with hot soapy water and run alcohol through them to dry and santize them.

HTH

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

Hi
    Have you seen this technique of hand expression?