Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help

Unhappy Help

Recently my supply has decreased I was pumping 6-8 oz each time I pumped I have now decreased to 3-5 oz. My lo is exclusively breastfed and I want to keep it that way. I can't think of a reason for my supply being low. I've tried the lacation cookies and they didn't help. Does anyone have any advise?

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Help

Oatmeal works for a lot of people. As do fenugreek pills and Mother's Milk tea. I found that the pills and tea made my LO's tummy upset though so be careful if you try those. Watch your baby for signs of gas and colicky behavior.

Are you getting enough water? Also, if you're EBF, you're probably not having your period but if you are, that can make your supply drop.

One thing though, 3-5 oz at a time is really good. Most people, I've read, only pump 2-3 oz at once. I'm one of them. I was super psyched because I pump almost 4 oz this morning and that's a record. But still, since you normally pump more, something's going on.

Also, if your pump is old, it might be wearing out.

Sorry, I don't have much more advice beyond that...

Good luck in getting the supply back up!

My lo is 5 1/2 months old. I also haven't had my period and I haven't been sick.

Quote Originally Posted by emama View Post
    Oatmeal works for a lot of people. As do fenugreek pills and Mother's Milk tea. I found that the pills and tea made my LO's tummy upset though so be careful if you try those. Watch your baby for signs of gas and colicky behavior.

I 2nd that, the fenugreek made my LO's tummy upset too and the mothers milk tea made my stomach upset!
    I eat tons of oatmeal and I have to say it even slightly helps me relax to just sit and eat a nice warm bowl of oatmeal.

Good luck to you!
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

Hi ,

Pump output is not necessarily an indication that your milk supply is low. Increasing the amount of time your baby spends nursing directly is the best way to increase your overall production and decrease your baby's dependence upon pumped milk.

What you are experiencing is not at all uncommon, and is often referred to as the "6 month slump" by pumping mothers. Here is a link full of great information on increasing the amount of milk you are able to pump: www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html .

Hang in there!

Tiana

Thank you for your help. I really do appreciate it.