Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need to supplement?

Default need to supplement?

Hi there,

I have been told, although I have been BF, and have enough milk, and intend to BF until max 2 years (unless ds weans off by then), I need to supplement with formula. Reason being - ds has to get used to the taste of formula milk, so that he will still get his milk diet when he weans off the breast.

Is that true?

I have been told to maybe introduce one bottle of FF..

Default Re: need to supplement?

Nope. Not true. 1st of all is you EBF past the year point, you don't need to introduce formula EVER. You can begin to introduce regular milk or Soy or whatever you choose so at that point the need for formula is nill. However, it is also possible to not introduce any other kind of milk at all as long a you are still breastfeeding. My son will be two next month and he only drinks water and breastmilk. He has no interest in cow's milk and I see no reason to push it since i know what he gets from me is far superior. So don't feel like you need to introduce formula at all.

Way too lazy for formula

I agree. You don't need to give formula anymore. My LO is 15 months old. I breastfeed her and give her milk and water. In the afternoon, while she's with grandpas, they give her a bottle of organic cow or goat milk, beacuse i have stopped pumping. Lydia is not interested at all. She drinks just a few mls and then stops. She thinks it's water and that's how she calls it. I never tried formula and i am happy with that. A few months before i said i won't give whole milk, as well, but i can't pump anymore and her parents wanted to give her milk. I gave my permission for organic only and she doesn't drink it. So Lydia is ok with breastfeeding in the morning and before night sleep (probably one more time at 6 in the afternoon) and x3-5 times during the night co-sleeping.

Hi, thanks for the response!

Umm... what about if I give ds cereal? Is it not better to give it with formula or plain cow's milk is ok?
    He is 10.5 months now.
    My milk isn't that much.. so I can't really pump whwnever I need to give him cereal in the mornings..
    Thanks loads!

Quote Originally Posted by raylis View Post
    Hi, thanks for the response!

Umm... what about if I give ds cereal? Is it not better to give it with formula or plain cow's milk is ok?
    He is 10.5 months now.
    My milk isn't that much.. so I can't really pump whwnever I need to give him cereal in the mornings..
    Thanks loads!

What kind of cereal? like a bowl of cereal? or boxed kind - if you do mean the box kind, you can give it wilth BM... you can give the "bowl" kind too with BM if you wanted
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

you can mix it with fruit, water, or formula If you want. There is not strict rule. I would stay away from cows milk until 12mnths if necessary. If I were you I would stay away from the formula all together at this point he wont like it much any way. At 10.5 mnths you can introduce a wide array of foods aside from cereal, but if cereal is working for you mix it with some fruit or even yogurt, have fun with it!
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

I think that he's still too young for cow milk. my LO used not to eat until when she got 1 years old, so my ped suggested me in order not to waste my breastmilk to mix cereal, in our case babymusli, with water and fruits, when she was constipated. Of course, i was breastfeeding before. Of course when we added milk (goat milk) after 1 the taste was much more better, so it was her lovely meal.