Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Prescription Drug in colostrum

Default Prescription Drug in colostrum

I am being induced next Thurs for hypertension, among other things. I have a uti, diagnosed yesterday. My ob prescribed macrobid, a class b drug, since this is a recurring problem over the last month and a half for me not resolved with cranberry or augmentin. I am supposed to be still taking the meds until Fri, the day after I deliver.
    Macrobid is not recommended after 38 weeks (I am 37) nor is it recommended for breastfeeding.
    My question is will this drug be in my collostrum? I am debating taking it until Tues night and quitting for the Thurs delivery. What if I were to go into labor tonight. Should I even take it? My ob is out until Tues, which is a long time with this bothersome uti.
    I guess my main question is how long will this be in my system to effect my collostrum/breastmilk. This is my 5th, my milk always comes in on the 3rd day.

Default Re: Prescription Drug in colostrum

Hello. I'm so sorry to hear you are under the weather. Uti's are such a drag. I used to get them constantly, but pregnancy seems to have alleviated the problem. I have been prescribed Macrobid many times, and I pray that it doesn't give you the stomach upset it gives me. I've done my best to find some information for you. Here are some links:

http://www.remedy-bladder-infection....scription.html This site has tons of information regarding uti's, causes, treatments, risks, etc..

http://www.drugs.com/macrobid.html General information regarding Macrobid.

The second link mentions that macrobid should not be taken by a baby under 1 month of age. The baby cannot rid their body of the drug, and there could be harmful side effects because of this. Since there is a possibility that the drug will still be in your system when your milk comes in, you might want to consider pumping until your doctor believes the drug has completely flushed itself out of your system. ( better safe than sorry ). Of course, the other alternative would be to attempt to treat your UTI naturally- however there are risks involved with this as well. It is known that mothers who have a UTI at the time of delivery have a higher risk of their baby being born with a mental disability or developmental problem.

I would talk with your doctor again and see if perhaps he can prescribe a less-potent drug to take care of your infection. In my own experience, amoxicillin works just as well as the more aggressive antibiotics like macrobid and zithromax- and it doesn't have the nasty side effects. Good luck and keep us posted!

Default Re: Prescription Drug in colostrum

Hi There!
    I'm sorry you've been struggling with a UTI!

Are you familiar with Dr. Hale and his book Medications and Mother's Milk?
    He also has an online forum for healthcare workers, but you can read the information as a guest (you just can't post questions). His book is LLLI approved.

I have the 2002 edition of the book, and he does mention that it's not recommended for nursing mothers when the baby is under 1 month of age because it can cause jaundice issues. On his forum, he suggests Ciprofloxacin or Levofloxacin as possible alternatives (but really recommends culturing for sensitivity).

You say your OB is out of town. I'm sure he/she has someone on backup call. I strongly suggest you try to get ahold of them and discuss some different treatment options. Make it clear that breastfeeding is very important to you. There is almost always an alternative drug that is compatible with breastfeeding.

In any case, using antibiotics so close to delivery will also put you at some increased risk for thrush/yeast infections and that can cause nursing issues too. You might ask your doc about some ways to ward off a yeast infections while using antibiotics.
    Hang in there and keep us updated!

Good luck with delivery and all!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!