Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cracked and bleeding nipples

Unhappy cracked and bleeding nipples

Hi there new moms!

I have a 2 week old girl. We started of on a wrong latch problem but now on ritte track i guess. But due to the latch problem...i had my nipples cracked and let it go worse ....that it started to bleed....now iam trying some home` remedies to get my sore nipples back to shape.

Q. is this normal? what should i be doing to get my sore nipples to normal and start nursing my baby on a regular basis.

pls help....

Default Re: cracked and bleeding nipples

I'm so sorry to hear you are in pain. You did the right thing by correcting the latch on though. It is very important you heal the cracked skin, otherwise you could leave yourself vulnerable to getting thrush. I am going to include some links that contain information on how to treat this problem.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/heal.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/sore.html

I hope this helps

Here's some good hints from Baby Center's website...

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/8493.html

• Change positions at every feeding. This focuses the pressure of the baby's gums on a different area of the breast each time.

• Nurse more frequently, but for shorter periods. Remember, the longer you go between feedings, the hungrier your baby will be — and the harder he will nurse.

• Rub a little breast milk on your nipples after each feeding and let it air dry. The milk actually helps heal them.

• Don't use soap, alcohol, lotions, or perfumes on the nipples. Bathing with clear water is all it takes to keep your breasts and nipples clean.

• Take painkillers. If the pain is severe, you can take a mild painkiller (acetaminophen or ibuprofen) about 30 minutes before nursing.

• For deep, painful cracks, try medical-grade modified lanolin (such as Lansinoh ) made specifically for breastfeeding mothers. Rub a small amount of the ointment on your nipples. This treatment, called "moist wound healing," relieves pain and allows the wounds to heal much faster without forming a scab. It does not need to be washed off before feedings.
    I remember with my first son how painful it can be, but he's nine and back then I don't think they had Lanolin or I just didn't know about it. But with son number two I used Lanolin a few times a day during the first few weeks.

Hi there!

I'm sorry you've been having trouble with cracked and bleeding nipples!

Is your baby currently nursing? What kind of home remedies are you trying?

Make sure you have a correct latch each and every time. You cracked nipples will heal as long as the latch is right. After each feeding, gently pat your nipples dry. Then you can either express a little of your own milk and rub it into the nipple and areola or you can use a lanolin cream like Lansinoh (no need to wipe it off before baby nurses either).

Vary your nursing positions so that it takes the pressure off the cracked and sore areas. You can also be assured that if any of your blood gets into the milk, it won't hurt your baby.

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Wink Re: cracked and bleeding nipples

I defenitely feel your pain. I have a 6 week old baby and the good news is that it gets better. I promise. I had problems latching Jeyden on since birth. I couldn't latch until the 4th day. I wanted to quit breastfeeding because it was painful. I dreaded every feed. But then one day IT GOT BETTER!!!!!! It took me 4 weeks for my nipples to feel better and to heal. Here are some things that I did to help.
    1. Buy soothies ( they are gel pads that you can put in your nipples to help soothe and cool them off). They were a life saver. You can use them between feedings. Put them in the fridge so they get nice and cold. Go to Soothies.com
    2. Defenitely get some lanolin. Apply several times a day.
    3. Let your breast air dry and apply some of your breastmilk to them.
    4. Keep practicing the latch and encourage your baby open wide by tickling the bottom lip with your nipple. I always used to say "UP AND OVER" to help me get used to the latch.
    5. SEE A LACTATION CONSULTANT. Mine helped a great deal.

and lastly...
    HAVE FAITH it gets better and before you know it you'll be a pro.