Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Zantac and constipation.

Default Zantac and constipation.

I'm noticing my daughters pooping habits have changed a lot now that she's been on zantac for 2 months. At first I thought it was normal that she wasn't pooping every day, as is often the case with BF babies. But now I'm convinced she's constipated.

Today she was straining and grunting and turning her little face PURPLE ( ) trying to have a BM. When I thought she was done I went to change her diaper only to find a small ball of green gummy poo that was STUCK to her butt like wall paper glue!! As soon as I wiped her she started going more, and by the end it was normal, yellow, seedy breast milk poo. That first bit was obviously in there a while to look (and smell) the way it did.

Sorry if this is all too much information.

I don't want her to be constipated, but at the same time the Zantac has REALLY worked for her and I'm scared to just stop giving it to her. Any other reflux mothers have this problem? Were you able to switch to another med, or did you stop giving it all together? What's worse, reflux or constipation? Any natural constipation or reflux remedies? We also feed on an incline, sleep on an incline, hold her upright after nursing, burp frequently, etc, which is why medication was our last resort.

PS, she is formula supplemented (very minimally) but has always had typical breast milk poops.

Default Re: Zantac and constipation.

My dd did the exact same thing while on Zantac...also she had really stinky toots! They smelled really bad, not like a breastfed baby's toots usually are. She had quit spitting up altogether by the time I realized what was going on, so I thought maybe she had outgrown most of the reflux, and so I just took her off the meds to see how she'd do. She's been fine...I think she might still have a bit of reflux, but it isn't bad enough that I will medicate anymore. I feel very fortunate that she outgrew it so fast. I don't really know any natural methods for constipation other than like prune juice and stuff that your child may be too young for? (I don't know how old your bb is) I hope you can figure something out, a fussy baby from constipation isn't fun either!
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

Hi my son has reflux as well. We have not tried Zantac, but he is on Axid and it really controlls his reflux well and we have no poopy problems! So if you decide to switch meds, ask your dr about it. It also tastes yummy to babies!

I think I'm going to stop the zantac and see how she does. She's 12 weeks old, so, too young for prune juice. If she still has problems then we'll see about switching to a different med, but if possible I'd like her to be without.

Thanx ladies.

Hi, we also used zantac and we had the opposite, very regular often too regular runny poos. Is she on any solids?

Nope, so solids. EBF.

Hi,
    I had posted some question about using zantac previously.
    We had lot of gas problems when we used zantac and eventually GI changed her medication after seeing her suffer so much.
    I have one more question about this reflux...Since all these medication is just going to break/block acid creation in stomach.Why docs don't treat baby for already affected food track.Don't they need any medication to treat this ?
    And how come reflux has increased so much recently ?
    I searched for answers but did'nt find any...
    TIA
    Mangai

They treat the symptoms because reflux is usually caused by an immature digestive track which will eventually probably correct itself. Also, it is believed that so many babies are now diagnosed with reflux because reflux has previously been diagnosed as "colic".. think of how many babies used to be diagnosed with colic! HTH! Jennifer

I dont know about Zantac, but I can offer some ideas about baby constipation...
    when our dd wasn't pooping at the age of 2 months, (though we now know this is normal, at the time we didnt), grandma (a retired nurse and kindergarten teacher) said first try:
    - massaging the belly (down on the baby's left side, across the bottom, up on the right side and back to beginning - this is the natural direction of the large intestine),
    - excersising the baby's legs in a vigourous pedalling motion,
    - gently massaging, putting slight pressure on the perineum.
    - you can drink the prune juice too, the baby may get some effect from the milk
    if none of that works, grandma suggested to take a very small, bullet-shaped piece of natural glycerine soap (you have to shape it yourself, carve it or soften and mould it), wet it so it's slippery and ... insert!
    its like a natural, gentle suppository.
    We tried it out of desperation, and well...
    I pushed the little soap-bomb in, it stayed for about 0.05 of a second before it shot out followed by a HUGE seemingly endless ebf baby poop. seriously, it went on for a few minutes and it went everywhere!

so if you get stuck, give it a try.