Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Staying latched ALL night!

Default Staying latched ALL night!

Ok we cosleep and I don't mind nursing Chloe (13 months) a few times at night but lately she has needed to stay latched ALL night. I can't sleep and I am so hot! If I try and unlatch her she screams and cries and wakes up my 3 year old so I just let her stay latched. But I can't do it much longer. I am exhausted and my back is killing me because of how I have to lay. Any ideas on how I can get her back to just nursing a couple times a night?

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Staying latched ALL night!

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions but I am interested in the answers as My 4 1/2 month old is doing the same.

My DD2 was like that for a while too, but I finally broke her of the habit! It only took a few days of NO sleep and fighting with her all night long.

I just refused to let her stay on my breast. When I knew she was done I unlatched her and let her cry.... Once that was done, and she accepted it, I stopped letting her nurse at night, and it only took a few days.

Your not getting any sleep now, and yes, I recall the back ache, so just be firm and don't let her...

I also have a 3 yrs old, and she kept him up too...but it is worth a few days of no sleep to finally have a peaceful sleep.

My daughter always does this when something is going on, teeth ect; I found putting pressure on the chin while pulling the nipple out fakes her out so I can get my nipple out without waking her. Give it a try several times if it doesnt work at first. The timing is important with the sleep cycle. They usually need to be floppy when you do it... .like 8-12 minutes after falling asleep. good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sagemom View Post
    My daughter always does this when something is going on, teeth ect; I found putting pressure on the chin while pulling the nipple out fakes her out so I can get my nipple out without waking her. Give it a try several times if it doesnt work at first. The timing is important with the sleep cycle. They usually need to be floppy when you do it... .like 8-12 minutes after falling asleep. good luck!
    You know I am wondering if she either has an ear infection or is teething. I think I may bring her to the ped to check.

Hang in there! As the PP said, often times there is a reason for the increased need -- teething, illness, developmental milestone, change in routine... Or sometimes it is a stage that will pass on its own.
    Mary

My 4 month old does it too. She is teething and having a growth spurt. I usually sleep through it, I am used to it It won't last forever she did it her last growth spurt.

So guess who has a ear infection?! This explains the all night latching. Poor thing. I brought her in to her ped today. Hopefully she will start feeling better. Thanks for all the replies!