Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What can I put on DS's toast?

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default What can I put on DS's toast?

DS is vegetarian and dairy intolerant, so I'm stuck for ideas of what to put on his toast to liven it up a bit! (He loves it anyway, but I like to introduce him to new things!)

He's 7 months and we do BLW.

Default Re: What can I put on DS's toast?

put some mashed fruit on it...or preserves of a fruit he has tried and done well with.
    Eliz

Hummus? My dd loves it on toast. Not sure what the "book" recommendation is for offering legumes like garbanzo beans but if not now then soon that might work.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

i put blueberry preserves on toast for ds, i get it from a local farm that makes it. i bet they seel it in stores though.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Toast? When is it okay to give wheat? My LO isn't having the most common allergens yet, just incase (so, no wheat, dairy, citrus, tomatoes, fish or nuts). I was kind of thinking I'd try and leave them all to close to a year.... but if we could just give her what we're having, it would be easier

Organic apple butter? I use this to mix with my son's food all the time, like with his yogurt in the morning.
    To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves - there lies the great, singular power of self-respect. ~Joan Didion

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie's Mum View Post
    Toast? When is it okay to give wheat? My LO isn't having the most common allergens yet, just incase (so, no wheat, dairy, citrus, tomatoes, fish or nuts). I was kind of thinking I'd try and leave them all to close to a year.... but if we could just give her what we're having, it would be easier

You know, there are so many different sets of guidelines for what's okay "month to month" that seriously I wonder about all of them. But I heard 8-9 months for wheat quite frequently. I did not follow that guideline, I gave it at about 7 months I think, but food allergies of any kind are unknown on both sides of my DD's family and breastfeeding makes your child far less likely to get celiac disease (intolerance to gluten) anyway. Of course that's not the same thing as a wheat allergy, but early introduction may be correlated...

Is that clear as mud? Okay try this article:
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/wheatforbaby.htm

Straight cow's milk is a big allergen and a no-no before age 1 (or in my case I'm never giving it to her at all) but yogurt and cheese are okay earlier because the proteins are partially broken down by the good bacteria that those foods are made of. I think that www.wholesomebabyfood.com has pretty good info in general. It's hard trying to come up with nutritious solids for them to eat, there's good ideas there.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

pumpkin butter?

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I'm in the UK and they just say no wheat before 6 months here.

Unfortunately these butters (had to google that to find out what it was!) and preserves (jam?) are not available here without sugar.

I shall make some hummus for him (good idea - I love it!) but leave out the tahini.

I get mine from Whole Foods - not sure if there is an equivalent in the UK.

Amy