Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: HELP!!!! Blisters!!!!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    239

    Exclamation HELP!!!! Blisters!!!!!

    Okay, I knew my LO wasn't latching on correctly, but it was such a fight to get her on that I left it alone and now my nipples are covered in blisters!!!! I have expressed some milk onto the nipple, covered myself in Lanolin, tried tea bags on the nipple, and I am topless right now because it still burns like crazy even though she finished about 40 minutes ago. When she nurses it feels like some is holding a lighter to my nipple.

    Does anyone have any more suggestions?

    I am looking for something that will just help me get through her next feed without jumping out of my skin. Also, how long will it take for this to heal, if I make sure she is latched correctly from now on?
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

    and

    DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: HELP!!!! Blisters!!!!!

    Do you have a pump? This is just an idea - Could you pump your breastmilk for a couple of feedings a day, putting lanolin on the nipples right before pumping, to help give the nipples a chance to heal? (And someone else could feed your LO the bottle of expressed BM?)

    I got blisters from pumping at work, and over the weekend, because I only pumped once daily & just fed my LO, they almost completely healed in 3 days. I think that they healed so quickly because I changed what was irritating them. Plus, try to get lots of rest, good nutrition & high protein intake. You may want to have a LC take a look at the nipples to make sure that there isn't a yeast (thrush) infection or another type of infection going on if they don't heal within about 5 days.

    (By the way, I'm still troubleshooting WHY I got the blisters from pumping & I've found that this is all experimental trial & error. A LC insisted that using a larger flange would work, but the cut my expressed milk quantity in half. Now, I'm trying a topical cream for a mixed infection - that could have been the reason. I may end alternating flange sizes & using lanolin before each pumping.)

    Let me know what you end up doing & how it works.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    239

    Default Re: HELP!!!! Blisters!!!!!

    NO! I was exclusivly pumping for 3 months this is the first time she has ever nursed!
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

    and

    DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    20,611

    Default Re: HELP!!!! Blisters!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by paigekitten View Post
    how long will it take for this to heal, if I make sure she is latched correctly from now on?
    If your LO is latched on absolutely correctly from now on, I would guess that the blisters should heal in under a week. Three days was my usual healing time for a blister- but for some they last longer, and for some shorter time periods. I hope you are on the shorter end of things.

    Until you heal, try moist healing- slather on the lanolin and maybe try some warm wet washcloths before nursing to soften the traumatized skin.

    It's an awesome triumph to go from exclusive pumping to breastfeeding! Hang in there!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    239

    Default Re: HELP!!!! Blisters!!!!!

    Sorry, I was kind of in a panic when I posted that last reply and didn't realize how abrupt I sounded.

    Went to see my LC and they said my current latch is fine and gave me soothies and a prescription cream for my nipples which seems to work a little better for me than lanolin. They also reminded me that if I have to, I can finger feed instead of the bottle.

    What are the symptoms of thrush? All I know is the baby gets white patches in the mouth, but she wouldn't because she has only been nursing one day, right?
    Last edited by paigekitten; November 18th, 2007 at 01:49 PM.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

    and

    DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    262

    Default Re: HELP!!!! Blisters!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by paigekitten View Post
    Okay, I knew my LO wasn't latching on correctly, but it was such a fight to get her on that I left it alone and now my nipples are covered in blisters!!!! I have expressed some milk onto the nipple, covered myself in Lanolin, tried tea bags on the nipple, and I am topless right now because it still burns like crazy even though she finished about 40 minutes ago. When she nurses it feels like some is holding a lighter to my nipple.

    Does anyone have any more suggestions?

    I am looking for something that will just help me get through her next feed without jumping out of my skin. Also, how long will it take for this to heal, if I make sure she is latched correctly from now on?
    You may want to go see your doctor to make sure you do not have thrush. The baby does not always have symptoms. When I was having soreness in my nipples I used the disposable playtex gel pads. They contour to your nipples and while the soothies are great they can harbor a yeast infection if you have one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laura_working View Post
    Do you have a pump? This is just an idea - Could you pump your breastmilk for a couple of feedings a day, putting lanolin on the nipples right before pumping, to help give the nipples a chance to heal? (And someone else could feed your LO the bottle of expressed BM?)

    I got blisters from pumping at work, and over the weekend, because I only pumped once daily & just fed my LO, they almost completely healed in 3 days. I think that they healed so quickly because I changed what was irritating them. Plus, try to get lots of rest, good nutrition & high protein intake. You may want to have a LC take a look at the nipples to make sure that there isn't a yeast (thrush) infection or another type of infection going on if they don't heal within about 5 days.

    (By the way, I'm still troubleshooting WHY I got the blisters from pumping & I've found that this is all experimental trial & error. A LC insisted that using a larger flange would work, but the cut my expressed milk quantity in half. Now, I'm trying a topical cream for a mixed infection - that could have been the reason. I may end alternating flange sizes & using lanolin before each pumping.)

    Let me know what you end up doing & how it works.
    I alternate flanges because my nipples are large but my breasts are not. So I get a lot of air intake with the 36mm (so I press them against my breasts tightly) but blisters from the 30mm. In addition, to the alternations I also use Gerber Balm for nipples to keep from chafing. It is safe for mom and baby thus it does not need to be wiped off prior to feeding/pumping.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    307

    Default Re: HELP!!!! Blisters!!!!!

    surprisingly sister it will be over soon. mine used to go in about 24hours. but i had to keep on nursing.
    deep breathing, as taught in lamaza classes helped me cope with pain. you'll soon get thru this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •