Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 11 month old not wanting to unlatch (also night nursing)

Default 11 month old not wanting to unlatch (also night nursing)

My daughter (who will be a year on 2/22) has not been wanting to unlatch lately most of the time when I nurse her. I'm worried about her teeth, but feel bad when I take her off (which is sometimes too early because she complains, oops). Also, she still nurses to sleep, which I have no problem with, but lately when she nurses at night (on average 1x) she has trouble staying asleep after she nurses. I guess I may have to extrapolate on that one on the sleep section of the board! Anyone with similar experiences?
    -KMS

Default Re: 11 month old not wanting to unlatch (also night nursing)

Hi KMS!

Is it possible she's going through a growth spurt? She may just want to eat a little more because of it, and that would explain some of the wakefulness too.

Night nursing usually isn't too much of an issue with toddlers with teeth unless you have a family history of dental problems. Breastmilk itself usually helps protect the teeth from cavities. Also, simply because of the position of the nipple in the mouth, breastmilk tends to be deposited toward the back of the mouth, where it is swallowed, so very little touches the teeth.

Hope that helps!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I've had this issue at various times - am having it again a bit at the moment with my 16 month old. What works best for me is Elizabeth Pantley's (author of the No Cry Sleep Solution) 'gentle removal method'. Basically as soon as you get that fluttery sucking or sucking stops, unlatch with little finger as normal - if baby rouses and roots around let them latch on again - repeat as many times as necessary!

I've found after a while my dd started taking herself off when she was asleep or more or less asleep. It comes and goes of course but is much better for me than falling asleep still latched which happens sometimes and usually results in me having a very stiff and sore back on the next wake-up.

Oh and sometimes Kate will be frantically searching for the nipple after removal and if I just keep it away for a few seconds longer she settles down and sleeps - other times she wakes up - it's all a finely tuned thing!!

Thanks for the input! She must have been preparing for something because last night she was up every two hours! (She did that once a couple months ago and woke up bigger the next morning... well, you know what I mean.)