Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ouch! Teeth help NOW!

Exclamation Ouch! Teeth help NOW!

The last 2 days I have been in severe pain with my daughters feeding. I don't want to quit and neither does she. Please help. She's got 4 upper teeth and 2 lower and she is turning 1 year old tomorrow. I need to nurse her now, but as she sucks her teeth are hitting my nipple so it hurts and makes my eyes water. She's not biting, the nipple is just rubbing against her teeth...what do I do??? Help! Please....

Thumbs up Help received-thanks

I called the La Leache leader in my other county and got some help there because the leader here wasn't answering and I was desperate. She said a few things such as different positions, wet cool wash cloth when she's teething and using the tip of my pinky finger as she is sucking. Thank you.

Default Re: Ouch! Teeth help NOW!

Hi! I would also suggest putting her in any position where she is on the higher side of the nipple. Try putting a small pillow under her head when you are laying down and nursing. We went through this too- and it still happens sometimes when we aren't careful- especially at night!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

I was also going to suggest that you try to get her to take a deeper latch, because then your nipple will be way back at the back of her mouth, nowhere near the teeth. When my son was getting his front teeth in, it seemed like his latch was off each time he got a new tooth. But before long (in a matter of days) he was used to the new tooth and all was well again. Thankfully all of the front teeth are in (since November last year) and his new molar isn't affecting his latch at all.

Do you find that if you nurse him to sleep, that your nipple slides down so that it is closer to his teeth? Every so often that happens to us and I have to stick my finger in his mouth so I can free my nipple without a bite! (My son used to bite me too but that's a whole 'nother story!)

If her teeth are rubbing on your nipple, you can probably assume that it's a latch problem. try getting more of your nipple in her mouth or see an LC about it. it does pass! i would try talking to your baby and explaining the situation and that she needs to make an effort to help you too. expecially if you need to take her off for little breaks.