Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not expressing enough milk

Default Not expressing enough milk

OKay here's my list:

Way stressed
    Rough pregnancy
    Delivered son 10 weeks early. He's now 1 week old/31 weeks gestational age and in the NICU
    Pumped at hospital and at home (four days in hospital after csec then first day home) - steadily more and more every time most getting an ounce and a quarter
    Second day home milk is waning
    Day one at home - hospital grade medela pump felt great
    Next few days hospital grade medela pump doesn't feel as strong as the one at the hospital
    Medela classic felt stronger day one of using *that*
    Next day can't feel the tug on the nipple on that pump, either.
    Milk supply is waning
    Nipple looks like it takes up all the space in the shield's um cylinder (its late!)
    Drink enough some days/some days not
    NOT resting enough (running back and forth to NICU and silly caretakers I have!)
    Stressing about waning milk supply
    Milk supply is waning

Is my story unusual? I *know* what to do - rest, eat, drink - all that and I know I have to knuckle down but what about the nipple/pump thing? Try a dif pump? Try the personal fit shield first?

Advice!! Argh!

Thank you!

--Dawn

Default Re: Not expressing enough milk

Do your very best mama. IMO, your baby needs YOU more than breastmilk.

Please don't take that as to mean don't pump, or don't try. What I mean that the worst case scenario is you loose your supply now, but can bring it back later.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanne View Post

Do your very best mama. IMO, your baby needs YOU more than breastmilk.

Please don't take that as to mean don't pump, or don't try. What I mean that the worst case scenario is you loose your supply now, but can bring it back later.
    Wow! You can DO that?!? (I read - but I just can't read enough having had delivery now and not 9 weeks from now!!!)

*Whew* My BIGGEST FEAR is that I will screw this all up and "damage the supply" somehow - permanently.

Yes you can do that. Post your questions and concerns on the "Increasing Your Milk" forum Im sure you will get a lot of help. It can be really tough the first few weeks, but it does get better, have patience.

You can also try fenugreek, milk thistle and oatmeals.. they have known to boost milk supply.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

call your local leader today she can help beter then we can on-line!
    look her up in the find local support bar at the top.
    heres a helpfull link from kelly moms on what to do if your not pumping the milk you need
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    your local leader can give you more info on how and when to pump.

Delivered son 10 weeks early. He's now 1 week old/31 weeks gestational age and in the NICU

Congratulations!

Pumped at hospital and at home (four days in hospital after csec then first day home) - steadily more and more every time most getting an ounce and a quarter

How many times per day are you pumping?

Second day home milk is waning

Could you tell us how much you were getting before, vs how much now?

Day one at home - hospital grade medela pump felt great
    Next few days hospital grade medela pump doesn't feel as strong as the one at the hospital
    Medela classic felt stronger day one of using *that*
    Next day can't feel the tug on the nipple on that pump, either.
    Milk supply is waning

Have you taken the pump in to have it checked? Many mothers of preemies find that the Classic is a good fit for their needs, but if the pump is losing suction for some reason, it isn't going to help you. Please do have it checked if you haven't already.

Nipple looks like it takes up all the space in the shield's um cylinder (its late!)

Is it uncomfortable? Is there an IBCLC on staff who can work with you to find the best fit? This resource explains how the breastshield should fit:
    http://www.medela.com/newfiles/faq/b...hield_fit.html

Drink enough some days/some days not

Try your best to keep yourself fed and well hydrated. Perhaps keep a bottle of water and some one-handed snacks in a bag that you can carry with you to the NICU. Don't be afraid to ask for help! Let your family/friends know that you need a little extra help in the food preparation department.

NOT resting enough (running back and forth to NICU and silly caretakers I have!)

Try to nap when you can! Even a 20 minute "power nap" can make a huge difference in how you feel.

Stressing about waning milk supply

Try not to stress (easier said that done). We can help you with info and support.

Milk supply is waning

See above.

Here's one piece of info that you might not have. Check out this video--amazing new research that would really help in your current situation:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

Please keep us updated!

I'm not sure how your pump works - haven't seen one of those - but, when my pump feels like it's losing suction, it's the membranes (the little white things that let milk out into the collection container but seal up when the pump works. If you have those, you may want to check that.

Also, I agree with PP - check the size of your shields and consider buying bigger ones - that helped me out a lot!

Good luck - and congrats on your new baby !!

Amy

A little bump. Let us know how you're doing when you get a chance!

Thank you! I've been getting enough rest/trying to keep on top of hydrating. I got the larger shields which helped. I exchanged the hospital pump even though I don't think that was the problem. I bought an advent isis hand pump and that managed to kick start my system. Nowmy milk supply is increasing steadily. Its very erratic though - some days, like today, I pumped 2 oz twice in a row and then more than an ounce continuously throughout the day. But then just now I pumped a half oz total both breasts. Hmf.