Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First soilds at 4 1/2 months

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default First soilds at 4 1/2 months

Okay, so I know that must people would agree that babies first soilds should be introduced at around 6 months. So here is my story.... My DD is 4 1/2 months. She sits in her highchair when we eat or on my lap. She grabs at our food and watches everything that we put in our mouths. She is so interested and drools the whole time.(This could be from teething, but it does add to the cuteness) Anyway I spoke to my doctor and he said that she is ready for soilds. I was really torn and decided that I would let her taste some organic rice ceral just for fun. She loved it and kept looking at the bowl when it was gone. Now I am wondering if I should continue or not. Let me know what you think.

Default Re: First soilds at 4 1/2 months

Our pediatrician said we could start solids at 4 mo if we wanted to.

Based on the research that I did, I decided to wait until after DS turned 6 mo. I was also planning on doing a baby led approach to solids (no purees - baby self feeds from the start) so we waited until DS was developmentally ready to self feed.

We cheerfully ignored the pediatrician

Here are some resources I found helpful when making the decision to wait until 6 mo.

why delay solids

when will baby be ready for solid foods

Oh - and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends exclusive breastfeeding for ~ 6 months.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I don't know, isn't something about baby-led that every baby is different? Maybe her baby is ready early? It sounds like some of the signs are there. I wouldn't go to town on the solids, but if she's really that interested, she could be ready for the occasional playing with food.

From what I understand .... most 4 or 5 mo olds are very interested in putting things in their mouths and starting to do what mommy & daddy are doing. Which doesn't necessarily mean that they are ready to eat.

I've also read that there are health benefits to delaying solids and that most LO digestive systems aren't mature enough to handle solids until more like 6 mo.

There's some great info at the links I posted.

Ultimately we all end up making the decisions that work best for our families.

Oh - and "baby led" is self feeding. So baby needs to be able to sit up without any support, be able to pick up food, and not have a tounge thrust reflex anymore.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Signs baby is ready for solids
    The overal jist of the article is as follows: TIFWIW

Your baby is starting to get ready for solids when:

he is about four months old
    he becomes more sociable, playing and holding "conversations" with you during a nursing session
    he has a growth spurt and nurses more frequently for a while
    he imitates the chewing motions you make whilst eating -- he is practicing!

You will know that he is really ready to start solids when:

he is about six months old
    he can sit up without any support
    he continues to be hungry despite more frequent nursing which is unrelated to illness or teething
    he has lost the tongue-thrusting reflex and does not push solids out of his mouth
    he can pick up things with his finger and thumb (pincer grasp)
    Frankly, they just don't need them yet...
    FWIW we held out until 6+ mo and did BLS too
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Thanks for all the advice. Those links were great. Really something to think about.