Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crackers and Bread?

Default Crackers and Bread?

I have read various things that say that 7 mths old can have crackers and bread....how? Do I give a whole cracker/bread slice to LO and let him go at it? Do I break it up? Does it matter that he only has one little tooth?

Default Re: Crackers and Bread?

I was paranoid at 7 mos. to give my dd a cracker. I waited till 9 mos. now she is 10 mos. & bites chunks off and they get soft in her mouth. Sometimes i still have to go fishing for the pieces if I see her struggling. As for bread I read somewhere (don't remember) that white bread clumps up in mouth and not good. I give her whole wheat bread slightly toasted with butter or some preserves to keep it most or some cheese. She likes that. I also waited till 8 mos for the toast. I was still experimenting at 7 mo. BUT THAT IS JUST ME>
    Lets see what other mamas say.
    HTH.
    Eliz

My DS is 10 months and I still haven't tried crackers. I guess I should let loose a little. We have tried bread and he does fine. I just pinch off pea-sized amounts and he eats it. He actually ate whole grain waffles this morning and did well. Iam still very much scared of DS choking, but I know he needs to learn to chew!

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

DS loves bread. I lightly toast it and cut it into soldiers (is that an English term?) He has it dry but after a while of licking and sucking it it's quite soggy?

Oh actually that's what I need to ask...

My dd eats crackers and toast, she has for a while. I cut the bread into dice sized pieces. I just take the cracker and break them in half or thirds--whatever looks small enough. She loves crackers!

oh woe. Should I be giving my nearly-eight month old wheat? She loves a rice cake, and is a really good BLW-er... but I'm sure I'd read somewhere it's best to avoid wheat until a year. Am I wrong here? Over-cautious? I just want to do what's right.

I don't know about wheat until one.....but I worry about everything too.

But I did try toast! I just halved it, and he beat it around on his highchair and squeezed it. Maybe a little bit made it to his mouth. But he was actually able to "participate" in mealtime all by himself yesterday. It was fun.

DS has been getting crackers since he was 7months - they turn to mush in his mouth - we just started to give pizza crust and toast - he has no teeth but gums everything very well

I had plained to wait a year for wheat but eventually gave in. DS is 10m but I've been giving him crackers for about a month. If your worried about choking Gerber Grauate puffs dissolve in their months so they won't choke. I've found DS is pretty resilient though. A couple times he's gotten choked, but just coughed and went on. It didn't seem to phase him. THe part he like best about crackers is he can feed himself.
    Rachel
    mom to Elijah 1/29/2007
    Pregnant with ds number 2 due sometime in November
    |Cleaning products that are green and safe for our babies.
    http://www.shaklee.net/jonandrachel

We started before a year, she loves her carbs. We just did whole wheat bread, no butter, she didn't seem to notice there was nothing so since she would eat it dry (yuck for me... love it buttered) I figured I'd give it to her. Although I did try it with apple sauce (put it on like jam) she seemed to like that and it softened it a little. She lOVES the gerber and Heinz Puffs. It was great as it tought her to use her pincher grasp to eat.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.