Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why do you pump?

Default Re: why do you pump?

I pump mostly because I have learned that you should always have a stash just in case from when I breastfed my two year old...I also pump because I work and attend school...I spend all day pumping and nurse my son during the night....with a full time job (and soon to be two full time jobs) and school three nights a week I have to pump so that my baby can eat...It's very difficult sometimes, but I wouldn't change it for the world

I pumped in the begining b/c my LO was too "sleepy to nurse." Every time I put her near my breast she would fall asleep for the first 2 weeks (she was 3 weeks early so maybe that is why). I still pupm b/c I work. My LO is now 1 year and 2 months. ;-)
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I first pumped so I could go out for a few hours and sleep a little extra while my husband fed the baby. Now I pump for that and because I work. I pump at least three times a day, and while I would love to pump less, I am not ready to give The Boy cows milk. He is 11 months... we're going to keep going until he's ready to stop nursing.
    Hot momma to The Boy born 19 December 2006.

Nursing The Boy for 1 year...and still going strong! I kicked the pump out the door though!

Oh, and I'm a cloth convert. Late in life. But only at home. Daycare isn't having it.

I have been mainly pumping the entire 6 weeks of my babies life because of poor latch, we are still working on it and since finding this forum I have learned so much. We are both learning how to properly BF and it has only gotten better thanks to all the wonderful advice from everyone
    Amanda

Mommy to my preemie prince Alexander Warren born at 35 weeks 6 days
    on 9/27/07 at 9:02PM Via C-section
    Birth Weight/Length - 5lbs 8oz, 18" long
    Current Weight/Length at 3 years old - 34lbs, 38 inches tall.

Mommy to my little princess Abigail Rose born at 38 weeks 3 days on 11/06/09 @ 6:51PM Via C-section.
    Birth Weight/Length - 6lbs, 19 inches
    Breastfeeding and doing great!

I need a good amount of milk in storage for when I return to work AND so that hubby can get an op to feed our baby. He's expressed that he wants to at least get to feed her every once in a while. So, next week we'll be trying out the bottle.

I started pumping when he was 2 weeks old. I would cry in pain every time he latched on. My nipples were cracked. He would get very frustrated because he wasn't getting milk the minute he latched on.

Now I feel like I have the best of both worlds! I am feeding my son the best all natural food in the world and I am not in pain!

I don't mind pumping every 3 hours. It's nice to see exactly how much my son is taking in.

I also plan on returning to work after 12 weeks.

I work. I bought a manual defrost deep freeze to store my extra milk so that when I stop pumping at work they can have that during the day. I think it's good for at least 6 months that way. I also use extra milk to make cereal and any other babyfood that needs liquid, or freeze it in ice cube trays (I have some SlimLines trays) to put in those munchkin traps as a momsickle, great for when they're teething. We used to give them their vitamins in 1/2oz on EBM, but now they won't take any kind of bottle from me.
    Last edited by april213; November 19th, 2007 at 11:41 AM.

I started pumping from day 1 b/c I had a c-section and lo was in nicu. I just continued to pump which ever side she didn't eat from and now I have a huge stash. Thank goodness too. i started back to work and she has plenty to eat...one less thing to be stressed about...kwim

Monica
    with my precious Emree Jewel who was born July 22, 2007.
    Still Always and loving every second.