Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Only Avacado

Default Only Avacado

Oh my goodness...

DD is 8.5 months old - and to this point has been bf only - we are *just* starting to introduce solids - like a teaspoon a day - if that.

We started with banana - and she would smear most of it on her tray - and eat a little. All was good. Then she grabbed a vanilla wafer from her sister and had it in her mouth before i knew what happened. Ok fine. But then she would no longer eat banana.

So then we tried avacado - she loves it. Wellt hat's great except now she won;t eat banana OR vanilla wafers. OY!

So she seems to be a one-food kinda gal lol. Any advice on how to keep her on multiple foods?

Default Re: Only Avacado

Hello there! Hey avocado is great. I'd be happy she wants to eat that instead of vanilla wafers LOL. Anyways, I know you want to keep her eating different things. I've found the best way to do that is keep offering new foods to her, even if 99 times out of a hundred she refuses. Some babies will eat the same thing for a week, then move on to something new. I'm blessed to have a baby who loves to eat pretty much everything ( provided that mama is giving it to him on a spoon. We're having trouble with getting him to self-feed )
    One thing my son didn't like for a long time was peas. I persisted and eventually found a way to get him to eat them. I snuck them in with other vegetables, so he only got a little bit of their taste. But eventually he ate peas alone.

Mine did something like this. And he still does -- we just got done with a yogurt-only phase! He improved though for a long time.

I started with one food every day for 4 days, just to watch for a reaction. If that was fine, we moved on and added in something else. If something was a big hit, and something else was a no-go, I offered them together and pretty quick, DS would eat nearly anything except vegetables (!). And sometimes it took several days of offering before he would try the new food or eat the new and the old food. And like I said, he does go through phases where he loved something and now won't hardly touch it.

Also, letting him self-feed was the only way to go for us. Spoonfeeding was a disaster.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I wouldn't worry much, she'll branch out eventually. And avocados are a great starting food! If you want to try something different, though, my son likes avocados and bananas mixed together--you could try them that way. (And if you decide to introduce dairy at some point - mashed avocado, bananas, and yogurt is really tasty! I've actually heard there is a recipe with those ingrediants that can be frozen and served in place of ice cream )

Is she finger-feeding (self-feeding), or are you feeding her from a spoon? If she's spoon fed, you might find she's more inclined to eat different foods if you allow her to feed herself - after all, she did grab that wafer! It sounds as if she likes being in control!

Jeff's Hope,
    My DD is also the same age and very choosy, likes the avocado, too. As pp said, she likes to feed herself, she seems to eat a lot more if she can do it herself. Yup, independent little ones already, I guess we're in for it. At least I know where she might have inhereited this trait....
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

If I put things on her tray - then she makes art out of it getting MINIMAL amounts in her mouth...lol. I can spoon feed her and she goes back and forth with cooperation..lol.

I will try giving her multiples together.

Have you tried pureeing avacado with banana, then progressively adding more banana? My son LOVES avacado with banana. You can also use it as a spread!