Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What do the cries mean!?

Unhappy What do the cries mean!?

OK, I feel like a horrible mother. I'm evidently supposed to know the different cries of my DS but after 9 wks I still only hear one cry = "I'm not happy with - something". I run through the possibilities: diaper, overtired, too hot, too cold, hungry? I know that I have used putting him to the breast to calm him even when he's not hungry. My question...can I end up overfeeding him b/c I just can't interpret his needs? Does anyone else have trouble knowing what their baby wants/needs? I feel so incompetent......

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Default Re: What do the cries mean!?

Hi
    I can hear your frustration and I totally understand it and can absolutely relate. I feel exactly like you are feeling sometimes. I know people say you can tell different cries, one from another. I however, have not been that lucky. Yes the may sound different sometimes but which one means what---NO CLUE. And I would imagine it would be different with every baby. I just keep trying stuff until he stops crying and then just assume that's what he wanted. I too asked the question about overfeeding because BF'ing is my default for every cry. The answers I got were that you can not overfeed a BF baby. You can't really stick a breast in a baby's mouth w/out his/her cooperation. A bottle on the other hand is a different story. Sometimes babies just want to suckle and be next to their mommies for comfort and security also. You can't go wrong w/nursing a baby. If anything he gets a little nourishment and comfort. Don't worry about overfeeding. And don't worry about not knowing exactly what your baby wants each and every time. I bet sometimes you are upset and don't really know what will make you feel better either, babies can't be much different. Love, Love, Love that's really all they need. Hang in there.

It realy does get easier! And you'll figure it out, sometimes it just takes awhile!
    I know one of my babies was extra fussy and high needs and it took me longer to figure him out. He was pretty old(at least 2 months) before I figured him out.
    Did you have a rough birth? That can cause a baby to be disoragainzed for a while. you cann't over feed a breastfeed baby!

I think it takes everyone a bit of time to decipher baby's cries. Paddy's cries didn't really start to become different with each need until later on, like 6 months at least. Before then it was just a plain ole "WAAAH I need something come fix it!" He is 10 months old now, and I know with certainty all of his cries, especially his scared cry and his "mama I'm sorry!" cry when I raise my voice. You'll learn- don't worry!

I agree with the ladies here- you'll learn the language of your baby in time, and offering a breast is never a bad thing. BF babies will only nurse for what they want- whether that's comfort or hunger. My daughter is very high needs, so she nurses a lot, but I can tell now when she's hungry or just needs some comfort, and she'll be 4 months pretty soon.

It sounds like you're being very sensitive to your baby's needs and are quick to fill them, and in time that senstivity will help you distinguish your baby's different cries. Breastfeeding is great in that you don't have to worry about offering it as a fix-all solution in the meantime. Have you tried carrying your baby in a sling or carrier? That may reduce crying altogether and get you even more in touch with your little one.

I felt exactly like you do when my DS was a newborn! He was a very fussy baby, and as hard as I tried I sometimes couldn't find anything that would calm him (at least not for more than than a few minutes at a time ). Unfortunately, he would generally refuse to nurse unless he was hungry, which made me feel even more rejected and inadequate. I kept thinking I must be doing something wrong, or if only I were a better mother he wouldn't cry. But, after some time I came to realize that its really the TRYING to fix it that matters. I'm don't think that he really knew what he wanted sometimes. As he grew older he became less fussy, and I became better able to calm him when he was. Now that he's a toddler he's a pretty happy (though still high needs) child. Just stick with it. And if your baby likes to nurse for comfort--definitely do it! That may be EXACTLY what he wants .

Thank you everyone! It helps to hear sometimes that I'm not alone in what I'm going through as a new mom.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I feel the same way! And I have been bottle feeding him breastmilk due to some issues, so I totally worry about feeding him too much. Just recently I started experimenting with doing other things first when he's upset- like putting him in his swing to sleep, or changing him, etc.
    I think I might be starting to hear a difference in his cries but it's still very subtle to me. (DS is 10 weeks old)
    Don't worry, you're not alone. And don't worry about overfeeding if you are bfding. Try a paci though, if you don't want to have your baby at the breast quite so often. He might just neen to comfort suck.