Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tender Breast and Redness

Exclamation Tender Breast and Redness

I have had a very sore right breast and it seems a little red. Im trying to rest. tylenol helps but is redness on my breast reason enough to go ahead to the doctor? Please advice!

Default Re: Tender Breast and Redness

Redness on the breast usually is an indicator of mastitis. Do you have other symptoms, like fever or chills. Does it feel like you're catching the flu? If you do you need to go to see the doctor quick so you can be treated for the infection. Get rest and drink plenty fluids, let the baby nurse as much as possible that will help you a lot.

Hope you feel better!

I am not running a fever I felt worse yesterday thou, dizzy and chills. Could it just be a cloggesd duct?

I've never had mastitis, but a badly clogged duct brought me pretty close. Both of my breasts had red streaks and every time I had a let down it felt like fire. My LLL leader suggested that my milk ducts were likely inflamed because they still needed time to adjust to all that milk flowing through. Mastitis can begin with flu-like symptoms, some of which ( the dizziness and chills ) you are having. I would go to the doctor just to be safe.
    I hope you feel better

I agree with PP.

Do you feel any lumps on your breast? Plugged ducts can lead to mastitis. Even if you haven't got a fever watch for it. That's how I started, I thought I was tired, then I thought it was cold, then next day I had fever and that's when I went to the ER. The red mark was the thing that made me realize I had mastitis.

You should go to the doctor.

Check this link out:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

I had mastitis three times in my DS's early months, and many subsequent plugged ducts. Mastitis generally comes on more quickly than a plugged duct, is often more painful, and is generally accompanied by flu like symptoms. A plugged duct can sometimes lead to mastitis. Mastitis often requires treatment with anitbiotics, although it can sometimes resolve on its own. My first two cases both required antibiotics, but the third did not. If you have only a low grade fever (according to Sears' The Breastfeeding Book this would be less than 101) and are feeling progressively better rather than worse, you may not need antibiotics. However, if you feel very sick, have a higher fever, and/or are getting progressively worse then you likely need antibiotic treatment. Whether or not you are treated with antibiotics, you should nurse frequently on the affected side (at least every 2 hours--if baby doesn't want to nurse that frequently then pump or hand express), apply heat to the affected breast, and use gently massage on the sore area. You should also of course try to rest and get plenty of fluids.

As a side note, it you do require antibiotics, you may want to take some precautionary measures to try to avoid thrush, which can result from antibiotic treatment. It may be helpful to cut out sugar (including lactose) from your diet and to take probiotics.

Hope you feel better soon!

Well my doctors closed on weekends so if its not better monday im definatly going in. Thanks for the advice.

Why do these things always happen on weekends? I've been there.

Not to alarm you, but mastitis can sometimes get very bad very quickly, and if it goes untreated too long, an abcess can develop, which may require surgical draining and could damage the breast's ability to lactate.

If you've got no fever, you're probably safe to wait until Monday. But if you spike a fever or if you begin to feel dramatically worse, go to the emergency room or an urgent care clinic for immediate treatment. You may need to "educate" a new-to-you doctor who doesn't routinely treat nursing moms, so print out relevant info from the LLL website or kellymom.com, just in case they are clueless.

I do hope the above won't be necessary -- in the meantime, GO TO BED AND STAY THERE (I'm shouting b/c this is hard for moms to admit is ever necessary), nurse nurse nurse on the affected breast as much as possible, drink lots of fluids and eat well to help your body fight off the infection. If it's not dramatically better by Monday morning, get to your doc promptly.

--Rebecca

Hi there!

Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm sorry you're not feeling well! You've gotten excellent advice from the PP's. Take the baby to bed with you and nurse, nurse, nurse and get plenty of fluids and rest. If you start to run a fever, call the doctors office anyway--they'll usually have an answering service to get ahold of the doctor who is on call for the weekend. If you can't get ahold of the doc, please go to an urgent care center or walk-in clinic.

Here's a great article that you may find helpful:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/mastitis.html

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I stayed in bed all day except to fold laundry, ate light and healthy, nursed as much as baby would do it and drank tons of water, took tylenol for pain in the meantime. It seems much better today. Redness has faded and my breast isnt lumpy there. I never got a fever so I tried to just relax. I got my mom in law to watch my 5 yr old for the day so I could rest. I think im ok now.

I hope this is the last trial of breastfeeding for a while. next comes pumping so her granparents can feed her when I go back to my part time job... then later of course getting her off the breast if she doesnt herself lol...

Thanks to you all for your advice.