Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help

Default Help

Hi Everyone,

Long story short. I am due to give birth to my second daughter today (or when she decides to come). I have just found out that the standard HIV test that was negative was written incorrectly on my Analysis sheet (HCV rather than HIV).

The hopsital where I am going to give birth in ITALY have told me that I need to do the test again, but that the results can take up to 2 weeks... and that if the results aren't in I can't breastfeed. To make matters worse, if I sign the waiver that will allow me to breastfeed, it waivers the hopsital of all responsibility!!! not just the HIV/bfeed issue.

Can I pump until the results come through and begin breastfeeding once the mix up has been cleared up???

Thanks, Sam

Default Re: Help

Can I pump until the results come through and begin breastfeeding once the mix up has been cleared up???
    That sounds like a good idea.

Didn't they do the test at the beginning of your pregnancy? If you feel like everything will come back fine go ahead and BF.

Why do you have to sign a waiver to BF? What would happen if you decide to BF without sign in the waiver?

Welcome to the forum and congratulations!

Thanks for your quick response,

I think that I will probably b-f anyway, but in Italy you have to stay in the hospital for 4 days after the birth as standard and it is there policy to not let you bf without the test results.

I did the test at the begining of the pregnancy, and didn't notice the mistake, nor did my doctor... the hopsital did... today. What a shocker that was!!!

Time to get the pump back off the shelf.

Thanks, Sam

Can you try fooling them? It just suck that if you sign the waiver and something else goes wrong they get away with that. Let say you've to give the baby formula, will be you giving it to him or the nurses? will the baby will be rooming in with you or in the nursery? If the answer is you'll be feeding him and he'll be staying with you, I would pretend to give him formula but actually BF him.

Samantha, what a nightmare!

I don't know where to begin with advising you with this problem. Can you get any local lactation support? The hospital has its policies and procedures, but a lactation consultant who understands breastfeeding and how important it is to get started properly may be able to run interference for you.

It seems to me that, unless you fall into some high-risk category for HIV infection, it is stupid and negligent to deny your baby breastmilk for two weeks due to someone else's screw-up months ago, just to follow a rigid policy that is designed to protect the hospital from liability. They should be weighing the small risk of possible HIV transmission against the known risks of denying a newborn her mother's colostrum and disrupting breastfeeding during those critical first days of life.

I would talk to the hospital's lactation consultants immediately. A lawyer might be a good idea, too -- it's a travesty what is being done to you and your baby over a mistake that was not your fault.

Let us know how things go. If worst comes to worst and you have to formula-feed for the first 2 weeks, then don't give up. Give the formula with a syringe or eye dropper, not an artificial nipple. Get a hospital-grade double-electric pump and immediately start pumping your breasts 10-12 times every 24 hours, including every 3 hours through the night. Save all the EBM you get, in case she needs supplemental feeds when she does start trying to nurse.

--Rebecca

My gosh, this sounds horrible! I agree with Rebecca, I'd look into the policies in a little more detail. Are there actual LAWS that apply here or just hospital policies? If it is just hospictal policy, you may be able to persuade them through support from an LC or an attorny. Also, do you HAVE to stay in the hospital for the full 4 days? I guess that would probably require the same type of waiver. If all else fails, I think I'd either try to BF without them knowing, or pump and supplement with a cup, syringe, or fingerfeeder until you go home from the hospital.

Whoa, what a bad situation!! I can't imagine how angry I would be with them for (a) screwing up and then (b) causing further problems by not allowing you to breastfeed. Is there anyway you can track down the original mistake and have it corrected? Did the original lab do the HIV test and then just mark is as HCV? If so, perhaps they can look in their records, verify the result and fix the error.

Best of luck to you and the baby.

Thank you all so much for your advice and shared disgust and anger. Little Elyse is taking her time arriving, so we are trying to resolve the mix up. My gyno fully supports me and has told me to breastfeed no matter what. And when I pulled a overdue-pregnant-lady-hissy-fit at the hospital yesterday during my routine overdue check-up they backed down and said that they will issue a waiver ONLY for the breastfeeding and will do the test themselves for free. I am not in a highrisk group so I am going to breastfeed my child.

I wonder who writes these ridiculous policies... men perhaps... who knows... ho hum.

x Sam

I'm glad things are going a bit easier now. Good luck with your baby!

This is great news! Good for you for standing up for your rights (and also your baby's rights)!

I also wonder who wrote that policy. My first guess would be hospital lawyers, with advice from a formula-company rep! I'm so glad to hear your doctor is behind you -- that helps a lot with stuff like this.

Let us know how things go, and don't hesitate to post if you need any support once your baby arrives!

--Rebecca