Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

View Poll Results: Do you do 100% organic foods?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

22 44.00%
  • Every once in a while, but not religiously.

9 18.00%
  • About half 'n' half.

16 32.00%
  • I don't do organics.

3 6.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do yu feed your baby 100% certified organic foods?

Default Re: Do yu feed your baby 100% certified organic foods?

Quote Originally Posted by Stacia View Post
    One thing we're going to be starting next spring is joining a CSA (community supported agriculture), which means you "subscribe" to a local (most of the time Organic, sometimes they don't bother getting certified but grow organically) farm and receive a "share" each week for a predetermined fee.
    I wanted to comment on this earlier. I think that buying close to home is so important. If I'm at the store and there is a choice between a local conventional product and an organic product from another part of the globe, I choose local.

There are a couple of farmer's markets open on a weekly basis...those are always a great way to find food that was grown close to you as well as a way to support your community.

A lot of the time the local stuff is organic and that's just a big plus in my book.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashdash View Post
    We just started solids, and I am feeding him non-organic foods as the organic ones aren't in our budget.

Reading your posts, it makes me feel as though I may be doing something that could be jeopardizing my LO on down the road by not going organic.

Ashley
    I think anytime you can eliminate harmful pesticides from your family's diet, it's important to do so. If organic isn't an option, you can always search for local produce. Eating food that was grown in the environment you live is very important.......
    Quote Originally Posted by excited2bemama View Post
    DOn't feel that way!!! Like I said I don't feed my lo organics either. Millions of people don't eat organic and they are fine. My mother- who was totally organic everything still died of breast cancer at the age of 48... Its way more important that your lo have a loving family than organic food. Besides pesticides are everywhere in the water and soil.. so even if they don't use them on the crops etc per say that isn't to say there arent still pesticides on things.
    And because pesticides are everywhere, you might as well eat the food that is grown in the ground where you live.

I am sorry that your mother lost her fight with cancer at such a young age, sometimes cancer is so powerful and in this case, it certainly was.

I would like to urge others, though, to take every precaution that you can in regards to your health. Eliminating or reducing the pesticides in your life will not cause cancer, but it can help prevent certain types in certain people, as well as contributing to all-around well-being.

Another reason to support the organics industry is to lessen our nasty footprint on the planet, to help reduce the chemicals that find their way in our soil and water.

And just because "millions" of people are fine w/o organics, that does not mean they couldn't be better. Millions of forumla fed babies are "fine".... but we know they're not doing as well as they could be, as well as they should be.

I started feeding my children breastmilk to ensure they got a healthy start and I continue that with good nutrition, buy buying organic and buying local. If you can find another way to cut the budget, you should.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

DOn't feel that way!!! Like I said I don't feed my lo organics either. Millions of people don't eat organic and they are fine. My mother- who was totally organic everything still died of breast cancer at the age of 48... Its way more important that your lo have a loving family than organic food. Besides pesticides are everywhere in the water and soil.. so even if they don't use them on the crops etc per say that isn't to say there arent still pesticides on things.
    I agree with Christy, though they are okay, they could still be better. We can all better ourselves.

Why should a consumer care about agricultural techniques if an organically cultivated green pepper looks identical to a conventionally grown pepper?
    The answer is multi-faceted, but simply stated, an organically cultivated pepper will be healthier and more nutritious than a conventionally cultivated pepper. By growing in a living soil where microbiotic activity constantly breaks organic matter and solid minerals into nutrients a plant can use, an organically cultivated pepper plant always has exactly what it needs to grow, from germination to fruit set, and the plant will be healthier throughout its lifespan than a conventionally grown pepper plant. As a result, the organically grown plant will be able to add more and complex components to all of its parts, including its fruit, resulting in a pepper chock-full of micro-nutrients and trace minerals that are important for human nutrition.
    http://www.mofga.org/tabid/166/Default.aspx
    ohh and just an example of the why I can't buy organic on most things... I did buy organic spinach this week as it was the same price as regular but organic chicken breast is 9.50 /lb at the local health food store. I buy chicen breasts for 1.77/lb on sale. That is a HUGE difference in my opinion.
    Anything at healthfood store will cost more, hands down, everytime. I buy hormone and antibiotic free chicken from Target, just bought 6 breasts for $9. It was def. over a pound. Target has a great organic selection.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaMomma View Post
    I would like to urge others, though, to take every precaution that you can in regards to your health. Eliminating or reducing the pesticides in your life will not cause cancer, but it can help prevent certain types in certain people, as well as contributing to all-around well-being.

Another reason to support the organics industry is to lessen our nasty footprint on the planet, to help reduce the chemicals that find their way in our soil and water.

And just because "millions" of people are fine w/o organics, that does not mean they couldn't be better. Millions of forumla fed babies are "fine".... but we know they're not doing as well as they could be, as well as they should be.

I started feeding my children breastmilk to ensure they got a healthy start and I continue that with good nutrition, buy buying organic and buying local. If you can find another way to cut the budget, you should.
    ITA with all of it, but esp that!

I too, excited2bemama, am sorry for your loss. Cancer is much more complicated than preventive medicine by organic foods can offer. I have lost many family members myself to cancer as well. There are a lot of options for buying organic on a budget.

So what to do if money is tight? The answer is to at least switch some of the food you buy to organic. Anything you can do to cut down on the amount of pesticides and other chemicals you inadvertently consume is going to be of benefit. Inexpensive, seasonal vegetables like onions, carrots apples and potatoes all tend to be affordable as are organic dairy products such as milk, yoghurt and cheese.

What tends to be expensive - just as they are with non-organic food - are ready made products such as organic pasta saucea and prime cuts of meat but if you go for cheaper cuts such as chicken thighs rather than breasts. belly pork, mince and leg of beef (fabulous for a rich, tasty stew) it shouldn’t break the bank. Combine that with eating rather less meat and more veggies (we all tend to eat too much animal-based protein) and you should be able to stay well in budget.
    http://www.beyondbakedbeans.com/articles/20070904
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

I put yes, but really she only gets about 90% organic. the order in which I buy foods is 1. local organic 2. local 3. imported organic 4. imported. We live in an area that has a lot of farmers, and where possible I will buy their produce in season and either can or freeze it (even if it is not organic) before I will buy an organic product that comes from hundreds of miles away..... but there are also several organic farms around us too, so finding organic is not very difficult

Of course we can always better ourselves but if you can't afford organics then you can't afford them and there is no reason to beat yourself up about it and stress over it and think that you are doing your lo an injustice. Dh and I choose to live as cheaply as possible so I can be a SAHM to dd- so that means no extras.. no eating out, no cable, and no organics. I would love to buy organics- I would. Alot depends on where you live too. Some warmer places organics aren't as expensive because people can grow them more often. I love summertime as I have a garden and I know everything in there is ORGANIC!!! But to buy organic everything from the grocery store is just out of my price range. Just do the best you can and don't worry about things beyond your control.

I would like to throw in here that if you watch for sales and stock up it is not expensive to eat organic meat as well. I got organic boneless skinless chicken breasts on sale for $2/lb. This was me standing in front of the meat counter I took advantage of it and bought a lot of it. My freezer is full but I don't have to worry about organic prices for awhile. So if your health food store has a sale paper, check that every week. This was at a health food store. If I just shop sales I most often end up with all organic food for the same price as non organic food at a regular grocery store. I bought enough groceries for my family of 5 for 2 weeks for about $115 and 90% of it was organic. (I may never get that lucky again )

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Mostly - all his fruit and veg is (as is ours), bread flour is, pasta isn't.

We mostly eat organic, but not all, so my milk isn't organic anyway!

I think about 75% of what we all eat is organic. So we're half way between half and half and yes!

I guess alot depends on where you live. I grew up in the midwest(farm country) and we always had organic grass-fed beef and my parents were on a budget. 5 kids and a teachers salary. My parents belonged to a food co-op and we lived on all natural stuff. Plus we had lots of friends with gardens and summertime was full or fresh stuff. I now live in New England and there isn't any place around me to get organic foods on a budget. Its either health food store or grocery stuff at health food store prices.

I agree that the cost of organic meats in the health food stores is quite expensive. One way that we found to get around that is to buy directly from the farmer. A lot of farms have websites that let you email your order, and then come and pick it up. The farms we go to always let us know when they are having specials as well, so we buy a bunch of whatever is on special and freeze it (my freezer is over flowing with stew beef ) Another bonus to this route is that you can actually get to know where your food is coming from, talk to the farmers about how they raise their animals etc. It might even be possible to find a non-organic farm that raises "natural" animals. for instance, we often buy natural chicken which means that they are free range, antibiotic/hormone free and they eat a premium feed, but it is not certified organic.

“Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin