Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy at nipple, 'snacky'-style feeding, possibly not getting hind-milk

Default Fussy at nipple, 'snacky'-style feeding, possibly not getting hind-milk

Too many 'symptoms' are confusing me as to what changes I need to make, if any:

Lately (last week or so) my 4-wk-old daughter started becoming fussy at the nipple. She fidgets, squirms some too, and makes little grunting noises yet doesn't unlatch. At times, she'll pull away completely and cry, but mostly just fusses without letting go. I fear she's not getting to the hind-milk. I've tried breast compression when she starts to snooze after 8-9 minutes at a breast in order to try to give her some hind, but then she doesn't go to sleep.

She is 'snacking' a lot. I'll think she's finished, put her in her bassinet all cozy/asleep, and not one minute later she's crying again and wanting more. She spits up too and gets hiccups almost once in every 24 hours. It's reached the point where I have to wolf down food for myself and pray that I can get five minutes to take a shower or make an important phone call. My husband is supportive and helpful but he can't get a break either!

She has no problem latching on and feeds pretty agressively & efficiently. I just can't decide if she's getting enough or possibly too much. At her checkup last week, doc was very pleased with her weight gain. Frankly I'm baffled. So far we've BFed exclusively with maybe two pumped bottles at most when I had to be away.

What to do? What NOT to do? Thanks in advance for any suggestions -- I'm all ears! she';s crying again, so I'm outta here for the moment . . .

Default Re: Fussy at nipple, 'snacky'-style feeding, possibly not getting hind-milk

Sounds like a growth spurt on top of the perfect age for the "learning" part of elimination. The grunting and squirming while nursing can be from gas as it travels, this is normal in babies. Here is a link to all the different reflexes
    I found this list helpful in understanding normal baby behavior. Worry about hindmilk when your baby's stool turns green. If it seems yellow or orange/mustard all is well. The compressions help baby get more milk towards the end of a nursing session . They stay awake when there is milk generally.

Default Re: Fussy at nipple, 'snacky'-style feeding, possibly not getting hind-milk

i'm sorry you feel stressed about it.

it might be a growth spurt.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

My Lo Would Do The Same And I Eventually Learned That Is Was Gas (for Her) Maybe That Is What It Is With Your Baby? Every Baby Is Different But I Would Unlatch My Lo And Burp Her She Would Scream When I Sat Her Upright And Then A Big Burp Would Eventually Come Out. Hang In There.

I had similar issues with my dd, who is now 2, she was just a higher needs one. I recommend swaddling before you feed, then as you lay your child down keep hands on him/her firmly for a few seconds. My dd was always aware of changing from my arms to bed and would wake up as if needing more, but sometimes, she really just needed help getting back to sleep. The firm hands makes them feel like you still have them. Each baby is different, I now have a 6 wk old and he is so mild compared to dd. If your child has specific times of the day where it is harder plan ahead with meals, if not..don't be afraid to have some friends/family help. Eat while you nurse too. This too shall pass, just as you get used to something, your child will change.

Good luck.
    Megan

Thumbs up Re: Fussy at nipple, 'snacky'-style feeding, possibly not getting hind-milk

Thank you thank you thank you! All replies are helpful and appreciated --especially the article about reflexes. Not only did that article clue me in as to why she reacts certain ways at certain times, but it also set my mind at ease about behavior that made me wonder if she was in pain or choking or all those scary things that go through our minds when things dont seem 'right'.

Looks like I just need to relax and be patient. I know if I stress that certainly won't do her any good.