Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: meat as first food?

Default meat as first food?

I attended a BF support group and one of the discussions last night was that new research recommends meat as first food. Any of you heard this before? I try to google it and only found information that it is recommended as 2nd food.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

Default Re: meat as first food?

my nutritionist reccomended beef as the first food, i think because ds has horrible food allergies. and i can eat beef safely w/o any reactions from ds.
    hth

try the resources page there are a few great articles in the starting solids foods pages..

meats are great because its high in iron..
    kelly moms has some great info on solids too..
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...rst-foods.html

Many experts (including LLL) suggest giving meat or other foods naturally rich in iron instead of foods with added iron. For more information on iron, see Is Iron-Supplementation Necessary?

Trivia: Ever wonder why cereal mixed with breastmilk doesn't stay thick? Breastmilk contains amylase, which is an enzyme that digests carbohydrates. The longer the mixture sits, the thinner it will get!
    For breastfed babies, some nutrition experts suggest skipping the carbohydrates (cereal) as a first food, since breastmilk is already high in carbohydrates, and concentrating on meat or other protein sources. Here is some great info from LLL on meats as one of baby's first foods: Introducing Complementary Foods. This article also discusses starting solids early for a baby whose working mom is having problems pumping enough milk. This study also discusses meat as a first food.