Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please respond...

Default Please respond...

I have a sore on my nipple that won't heal (I've had it atleast a week). It's excruciating to nurse on that side, and so it's been hard to nurse let alone keep her on long enough to get what she normally eats. I think I've affected the supply now. She's preferred that side for the last 5 mos, and it's been a bit tough for me to keep weight on her, so now I'm worried. She's very picky and won't stay on if she's not getting a letdown quick enough....what do I do to help healing, and get my supply where she's happy. I have been offering the other side first lately, but it produces less. (She won't stay on long enough to encourage more production)

Default Re: Please respond...

Pump from the side that has the sore, and just let baby nurse from the good side. Once you are healed, you can let baby return to that bresat. Use some nipple cream on it all the time. Remember to let it air out sometimes too, not keeping a bra over it. You must pump from the sore side so that your milk supply doesn't diminish.....

What kind of sore, MommyF? Can you describe where and what it looks like? Does the location of the sore make breastfeeding painful? Have you seen an IBCLC or LLL Leader for help?

First of all ,

Yes, it would be helpful to know exactly what kind of pain you are feeling, what if any damage you can see (red, swollen, cracked, blistered?). Does it only hurt when baby nurses, or does it hurt all the time? Is the pain localized, or all over? Has baby been biting or clamping down at all? Anything unusual about her nursing behavior?

You might want to try varying your nursing position on the sore side. That might make breastfeeding less painful. To keep her on the less sore side longer, you can try breast compressions. When you start to sense that she is getting ready to unlatch, cup your hand and gently squeeze your breast to get the milk flowing. Hopefully, she will start to actively suck and swallow again.

HTH. Hang in there!

Tiana