Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much do you pump?

Default How much do you pump?

I was just curious. What is normal? Have you noticed a difference in amount as your baby gets older?

How old is your baby?

How often do you pump?

How much do you get?
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

Default Re: How much do you pump?

Well I used to get 2-3 ozs between both breasts when I would pump all the time. I'm trying to get into a schedule now and do it when he takes a nap... but I still don't get that much.

My DS is 6 and a half months old.

I try to pump at 8 when he takes a nap then noon when he takes another, and then I'm trying to pump at 9pm but I usually don't feel like it.

I might get with both the 8 and noon session an oz all together. I'm starting to not like my pump much anymore. But this morning I got an oz already! Which is great!

I'm just pumping though just go get some milk to put in his oatmeal at dinner time. Though I would like to pump enough to put in the freezer, but I hardly make enough for the dinner time so I get none left over.

I think that normal is whatever is normal for you.

When I was pumping once a day - while with DD all day, I would get 3-4 oz. for the freezer stash. Now, I am pumping while away from DD. I pump once a day. I get 8-10oz in 20 minutes on Monday. By Friday it is usually about 5-6 oz. Sometimes it is less. DD is 8 months. She usually drinks about 6-8oz while we are apart.

Quote Originally Posted by noodlenerd View Post
    DD is 8 months. She usually drinks about 6-8oz while we are apart.
    How long are you apart from your dd? My dd is 9 months old now and takes 16 oz !! while we are apart - about 8 hours. I'm having trouble keeping up with this. I pump 3x's while at work and get about 3-4 oz. average each time - for example, I get maybe 5-6 on first pump, 3-4 on second and 2-3 on third. Then I pump once before bed and get about 4 oz.

Amy

Quote Originally Posted by amyped View Post
    How long are you apart from your dd? My dd is 9 months old now and takes 16 oz !! while we are apart - about 8 hours. I'm having trouble keeping up with this. I pump 3x's while at work and get about 3-4 oz. average each time - for example, I get maybe 5-6 on first pump, 3-4 on second and 2-3 on third. Then I pump once before bed and get about 4 oz.
    I am away 8 hours. (7a-3p) I am sure that when I am home she takes in more than 8oz in that time period but she isn't very fond of the bottle. When I get home she usually likes to nurse every hour from 3p-10p to make up for it. She goes to bed at 7pm but still rouses every hour to nurse until around 10 or 11. And she is up multiple times between 10p and 7a. Luckily, I am only teaching for 4 more weeks. If I was returning to work permanently I might be more concerned about pumping a lot more to keep my supply up up up. But for me pumping is only temporary.

I would have a hard time keeping up with 16 oz too! Do you pump in the morning the last time that you feed her? That was recommended at my LLL IRL meeting. Nurse on one side and pump on the other to get an extra pumping in!

I hate my pump! Kudos to you for spending so much time pumping! It is much more difficult than I thought it would be. I really look forward to the end of the day Friday because I can keep the pump in the trunk all weekend!
    Last edited by noodlenerd; November 15th, 2007 at 12:59 PM. Reason: typo

How old is your baby? 4 months

How often do you pump? 4 times/ day

How much do you get?

1st pumping session (6:30 am after feeding Hunter ) 1-2oz
    2nd 9:30am 4-6oz
    3rd 12:30 2-4oz
    4th 3:30 2-4oz

I get more or less depending on the day and stress level.

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011

There is no "normal" amount to pump. Every mother's pumping yeild is different. It can vary by how often the mother pumps, if she is pumping in addition to nursing, how well she responds to the pump, her own body's storage capacity, ect.

Quote Originally Posted by noodlenerd View Post
    Do you pump in the morning the last time that you feed her? That was recommended at my LLL IRL meeting. Nurse on one side and pump on the other to get an extra pumping in!

I hate my pump! Kudos to you for spending so much time pumping! It is much more difficult than I thought it would be. I really look forward to the end of the day Friday because I can keep the pump in the trunk all weekend!
    I used to pump the other side after the morning nurse, but now she likes to go back an hour later and finish up, if you will, on the other breast before we leave. Also, I have a 2.5 year old and getting everyone ready for dc is hectic enough without adding an extra 30 minutes (15 to pump and 15 to store/wash parts) to our morning would get me to work at like noon! So, I pump within 30 minutes of getting to work - and it's usually my biggest pump session.

I get so excited when Friday end of day gets here and I can ditch the pump for awhile (I still pump before bed to get some extra milk for the week at dc when I come up short). LO is 9 months old now. I'm hoping at about a year or so, she will start taking less BM at DC and I can reduce my pumping schedule. I HATE PUMPING - bleck!

How old is your baby? 3 months

How often do you pump? Every three hours, 6 or 7 times in a 24 hours time.

My schedule is basically 8am, 11pm, 2pm, 5pm, 8pm, 11pm -- 2pm if I have to close the restaurant I work at...I still use this schedule when I am not working or at school...I just pump the other breast while I am feeding him.

How much do you get? get about 5-6 oz. per breast first thing in the morning even if I just fed him and 2-4oz. per breast the rest of the time

6 weeks old

I pump every 2-3 hours

I get anywhere between 2-4 ounces each time
    Amanda

Mommy to my preemie prince Alexander Warren born at 35 weeks 6 days
    on 9/27/07 at 9:02PM Via C-section
    Birth Weight/Length - 5lbs 8oz, 18" long
    Current Weight/Length at 3 years old - 34lbs, 38 inches tall.

Mommy to my little princess Abigail Rose born at 38 weeks 3 days on 11/06/09 @ 6:51PM Via C-section.
    Birth Weight/Length - 6lbs, 19 inches
    Breastfeeding and doing great!