Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: blood in spit up

Default blood in spit up

okay so i've been sick for a couple of days with a cold, sore throat and head ache and my 1 month old baby has had a stuffy nose for a while.. well last night early this morning after he nursed he spit up a whole lot, way more then normal and then some blood came out and he is also starting to get very fussy even in his sleep... im not sure what to do.. should i call the doctor?

Default Re: blood in spit up

Do you have sore/cracked nipples? The blood may be yours, that he ingested with the milk..... If that doesn't seem likely, then by all means, call your pedi....

My LO had blood in his spit up the second day home from the hospital. After a trip to the emergency room, it turned out that it most likely came from cracks in my nipple (even though I couldn't really see any blood). Do a thorough examination of your breasts. I took a hot towel and put them over my breasts (kind of the same thing you do for engorgement pain) and when I pulled the towel away I could see a couple of specks of blood. However, if your LO is unusually fussy you may want to call your pedi.

Blood in a baby's spit-up is usually from Mom. It can come from a crack or it can come from a totally normal-looking breast. Sometimes a tiny blood vessel can break without the mom even noticing that it has happened. Broken blood vessels usually heal by the next time the baby wants to nurse. The fact that your baby has had a cold may have made him alter his latch a little, and that could have caused some trauma or bleeding.

Bloody milk is not a problem for your baby. Just watch him carefully- if the bloody spit-up and severe fussing become a regular occurrence, you might want to take him to the doc. But I'm betting it's a one-time thing.

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I would call the doctor just in case. I tend to call about everything that concerns me but I think it's better to err on the side of bothering the doc with every little thing rather than just letting it go. 1 month is pretty young so it's good to check up on this stuff...