Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I do it withhout him?

Question Can I do it withhout him?

Is it possible to relactate if my son wont nurse? I just started pumping and am trying to get him to latch, which I know will take time, but I am concerned he wont latch at all again.....I would still like to be able to give him breast milk with a bottle if he wont latch.....

Default Re: Can I do it withhout him?

Yes! It is possible to relactate even if your son will not latch. Most relactating/inducing lactation mothers at least start out this way--they build up their supplies through pumping or hand expression while teaching their babies to latch. Some babies (particularly older babies) never do learn to latch, but their mothers continue to pump/express anyway and give their babies their own milk in bottles instead of formula.

Best Wishes to you!

Tiana

What is considered an "older baby?" Mine is 6 weeks .. is there still hope?

Yours would be considered a younger baby. You definitely still have hope! Check out the sticky at the top of this forum for lots of good information, and stick around! There are so many other moms around her working on relactating right now. This really is a fabulous community!

Tiana

Hi Autumn,

Welcome to the LLL forum.

Can you start by telling us more about your situation, including birth details, and work your way towards telling us what you have tried so far, in regards to getting your baby to latch on? There is much collective experience and information to be had.