Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Aspbergers?

Default Aspbergers?

Not sure if that's how it's spelled . . .

At my DS 4 mo well visit, his ped said we could start solids. I told him we were waiting until at least 6 months before introducing anything other than BM. He said to me, well at least get started at 6 mos so you don't have to deal w/ Aspbergers or anything. I was really confused . . . anyone know what he was talking about?

We still are just nursing (Gabe is 5 mo) and I'm honestly in no hurry to get started on solids. DH is however b/c he really wants to be involved in the feeding.

Thanks!

Default Re: Aspbergers?

That's weird. I've never heard that. Our pedi said as long as she was at least trying to eat solids by 1 year she should be fine. She said that until 1 yr. solids were just for practice anyway. Which is good because she wouldn't touch them until about 10-11 months no matter how hard we tried.

Doesn't make sense at all Check out a website on it I think its genetic but not positive

What a silly thing for the doctor to say. I have never heard of that reason for early solids......

The only thing I can think of is that some people with Aspergers have sensory issues and texture issues. Maybe babies who delay solids have texture preferences? Doesn't mean they have Aspergers though.....

Off to search the web for info.

Lyn

PS Not only that, the AAP recommends waiting til 6 months.......
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Thanks for the validation guys . . . this is the first he's really said . . . I didn't know what Aspbergers was and with all the reading I do, I had never heard anything like that. I too had learned solids before 1 yo was for practice not sustenance. Hmm . . . I really am not too fond of peds sometimes.

That really confuses me because from my understanding (gathered while student teaching) is that Asperger's is on the autism spectrum. It is at the higher-functioning end of the spectrum. Or milder? I'm not sure what you would call it. I'm not sure how when you start solids would have an effect since social interaction and communication are most affected by autism.
    Last edited by jjw; November 14th, 2007 at 10:01 PM.

Ugh, double posted when it timed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy View Post
    It is as you said on the higher-functioning end, and can be very very smart!
    There was a child in my classroom that was high-functioning. When an autism expert came into the classroom to observe, she was not told which child it was. The autism expert wasn't actually able to identify him as the child because his behavior was not that much different than his classmates. He also had kind of specific interests, but he could tell you so much sophisticated information about things he was interested in.

Seriously - where's the coocoo smiley? Darn, I really thought we had one?? Musta been another forum.

Paula
    Mom to Cody 2/3/92
    Mommy to Kaeden 10/06/06

I'm in a clinical psychology PhD program right now and have learned about Asperger's and other Pervasive Develop. Disabilities disorders and have heard NOTHING about introducing solids as a risk factor! Did he mean to say that I wonder? Did he mean to say that if you start with purees you don't have to worry about him "aspirating"? Wow, what a bad mistake for him to make!
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!