Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do older babies require more breastmilk?

Default Do older babies require more breastmilk?

Hi,

I am a new mom of a 2 month old. I am wanting to invest in some Born Free bottles and am trying to decide which size to purchase and they are so expensive so...my question is: Will my baby require a greater amount of breast milk as she ages, necessitating larger bottles? Do I get the 5 oz or the 9 oz bottles?

I am new and not familiar with how her needs will change as she grows, but I am committed to keeping her exclusively breastfed until 6 months and continue pumping at work and giving her breast milk until at least one year. Right now she drinks 7-8 times a day 3-4oz. a feeding.

Thanks for any advice,

Momma Jenn

Default Re: Do older babies require more breastmilk?

Have you read the info on kellymom about how much milk babies drink: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html. My babies milk intake peaked at about 3 5oz bottles a day when they were 5-6 months old, the most one of mine has ever taken is 6.5oz, and you can fit that in a 5oz bottle, so I've never needed the larger size. It really depends on your baby. Over time mine have taken less and less from bottles, especially once they started solid foods. By 7 months we cut back to 2 bottles, then to 1 bottle at 8.5 months. At almost 10 months they nurse at least 4x when I'm home, eat solids 3x a day, and have one 4-5oz bottle while I'm at work.

I agree with PP. DD always took 4 ounce bottles, starting when I went back to work at 8 weeks, at first three times a day. Now that she is big and eating solids all day long, she only takes one sippy of milk while I am at work. Sometimes its four ounces, sometimes its a little more (if I get more while pumping).

Both of my dd's are what I call snackers. DD2 at 9 months still never takes more than 4 oz. in a sitting from a bottle. But, it totally depends. My friend's 3 month old lo has taken 9 oz in a sitting on several occasions. I bought bigger bottles for dd1 and still haven't used them with dd2 either Trial and error, I'm afraid.

Amy