Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Treatment for Lipases?

Question Treatment for Lipases?

I have an additional question about this information which I found on Kellymom:
    Once the milk becomes sour or rancid smelling/tasting, there is no known way to salvage it. However, newly expressed milk can be stored by heating the milk to a scald to inactivate the lipase and stop the process of fat digestion. Scald the milk as soon after expression as possible.

To scald milk:

Heat milk to about 180 F (82 C), or until you see little bubbles around the edge of the pan (not to a full, rolling boil).
    Quickly cool and store the milk.
    Scalding the milk will destroy some of the antiinfective properties of the milk and may lower some nutrient levels, but this is not likely to be an issue unless all of the milk that baby is receiving has been heat-treated.

My question is: Can this scalding be done after my EBM has been chilled in the fridge? My milk gets that soapy sour taste after it has been frozen or after about 3 days in the fridge. I pump at work and have to chill the milk right away - having no way of scalding it here. It is always sweet and fresh for the first couple of days of refrigeration. My goal is to keep less than 3 days supply chilled and unfrozen at all times, but occasionally I'll have to freeze some, so I'll need to scald it after chilling but before freezing, is this ok?

Lastly, can the scalding be done in a normal steel pan, or some specific material?

TIA!
    Last edited by Bobindy1; June 12th, 2006 at 01:45 PM.

Default Re: Treatment for Lipases?

Does your milk taste soapy or sour?

Sour is usually a lipase issue. Soapy is usually either a storage issue or it is thought it could be related to the changing of fats in the ebm.

It is best to scald ASAP. If you're going to scald, it's best to scald then freeze or scald/cool/feed. Ebm that has been scalded doesn't hold up as well.