Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to get rid of thrush?

Default How to get rid of thrush?

Hello!
    I'm new here, but I found you guys and was so excited! I have no idea what to do. I had my baby 12 weeks ago. I got mastitis within the first two weeks. I was put on antibiotics, and developed thrush by the third week. I have done 2 15 day rounds of Diflucan, another 7 day round, have also used Miconazol, and now am using Gentian Violet. It's not any better, and I don't know what I should try next. I think my doctor is stumped, and I am in pain. I haven't been able to breastfeed at all, and have just been pumping as I also started out with inverted nipples and had been using a shield. I don't know what to do now, and am so ready to give up, but I don't want Caleb on formula either. HELP!! Thanks!!
    ~Sarah~

Default Re: How to get rid of thrush?

I'm sorry -- I did that a week or so ago...

Diflucan didn't help me at all. What it did do is cause vasospasms where my nipples swelled up and then shut down (refused to let anything out). I also got blisters on my nipples. Felt like my nipples had been run across a cheese grater and then dipped in oil of poison ivy .. itchy, burning, awful.

I boiled all the pump parts in dish soap and water for 20 mins. I used vinegar (straight) on the whole breast, not just the nipple. I did that for two days, then gentian violet. I also got the largest pump flanges, coated them in olive oil, and turned the pump down. While pumping I self-medicated with ibuprofen and lots of oreos (which, btw, is not recommended as the sugar feeds the yeast. but it was the only way I could convince myself to stand the pump).

I went totally braless underneath a cotton shirt. I slept shirtless for nighttime and when we laid down for naps. Washed the sheets in hot water too.

Not sure what finally shook it, but it's gone for now...

Has your baby been treated for thrush? My understanding is that even if the baby doesn't have any symptoms, the baby absolutely also needs to do a round of nystatin when mom is treated so that it goes away completely. If your baby was treated a while ago, it would be worth it to treat again.

Also, I think that 2-3 days is timeframe to expect Gentian Violet to work after treatment is finished (usually treatment is about 3 days too). Let us know what works.

Well, we did the Gentian Violet starting last week Tuesday evening. I also started using the vinegar solution, and I have noticed a huge improvement just since last night. Keeping fingers crossed that this is it.
    Caleb was treated for it early on, but we have been pumping exclusively since this all started. Should he be treated again anyway, even if he's not showing signs and not latching on? I still have Nystatin cream and liquid I could use.
    I hope this kicks it soon!!!
    ~Sarah~