Firstly I want to thank everyone who helps out on these forums as they have been such a big help to me over the past few weeks just from reading.
I'm a mum to a 3 week old beautiful girl. There are no lactation consultants/laleche where I live locally so I am unable to get any help in real life so I'm reliant upon online sources to figure it all out.
In the first few days we had some latching issues but we seem to be over them (after some nightmare days!) as she latches on and eats well.
She produces many many poopy diapers (practically one at every feed!) and wet diapers so I am not that worried she is getting enough milk. She has also put on a lot of weight.
I just have a few concerns that I hope to just put my mind at rest
- If she is producing enough wet/poopy diapers and gaining weight I don't need to worry about anything else do I in that department? She seems like a contented baby when she is full and when she is awake she is alert so I think she is ok.
- I am worried her latch is pretty shallow though it has gotten better since the first week. I was in a lot of pain every time she latched on in the first week as she seemed to only be sucking on my nipple. But now as she has gotten bigger it seems to be better. If her latch is wrong would I be in pain? I don't experience any pain when she eats or when she latches on like I did in the first week but her latch doesn't seem to be like what the pictures and videos say. Also her mouth is pretty little so I don't know how deeply she could latch on too. Maybe this will improve with time?
- She has been fussing the past few days and eating for hours on end - will eat for a few minutes, put her down and she'll start fussing 10 minutes later and eat again. I'm thinking she is going through a growth spurt? She just wants to eat all the time and I'm happy to provide it to her but just wanted to make sure it was normal. Unfortunately she starts at 12am and does this till 6am sometimes lol.
- She usually only drinks from one breast and falls asleep. The next time (which sometimes may be only 1/2 an hour later) she will drink from the other breast. I alternate them. Is this OK or do I need to get her to eat from both in one sitting? Sometimes she will drink from both like right now when she seems to be going through a growth spurt.
- If my latch is wrong now will it mean in a few weeks or months time it could affect the breastfeeding?
- At around what time do poopy diapers tend to go down in number - she does so many right now that I will probably start to worry when they decrease.
- And lastly my right breast is itchy - the actual breast as opposed to the nipple as much. I have been worried about thrush but besides the itchiness I can't seem to find any other symptom of any problem. My baby has no white patches in her mouth either. Any idea why it could be itchy? I have not been wearing a bra and been airing it most of the time so I don't think it is related to wearing anything.
Thankyou in advance!