Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A few questions from a newbie

Default A few questions from a newbie

Hiya

Firstly I want to thank everyone who helps out on these forums as they have been such a big help to me over the past few weeks just from reading.

I'm a mum to a 3 week old beautiful girl. There are no lactation consultants/laleche where I live locally so I am unable to get any help in real life so I'm reliant upon online sources to figure it all out.

In the first few days we had some latching issues but we seem to be over them (after some nightmare days!) as she latches on and eats well.

She produces many many poopy diapers (practically one at every feed!) and wet diapers so I am not that worried she is getting enough milk. She has also put on a lot of weight.

I just have a few concerns that I hope to just put my mind at rest

- If she is producing enough wet/poopy diapers and gaining weight I don't need to worry about anything else do I in that department? She seems like a contented baby when she is full and when she is awake she is alert so I think she is ok.

- I am worried her latch is pretty shallow though it has gotten better since the first week. I was in a lot of pain every time she latched on in the first week as she seemed to only be sucking on my nipple. But now as she has gotten bigger it seems to be better. If her latch is wrong would I be in pain? I don't experience any pain when she eats or when she latches on like I did in the first week but her latch doesn't seem to be like what the pictures and videos say. Also her mouth is pretty little so I don't know how deeply she could latch on too. Maybe this will improve with time?

- She has been fussing the past few days and eating for hours on end - will eat for a few minutes, put her down and she'll start fussing 10 minutes later and eat again. I'm thinking she is going through a growth spurt? She just wants to eat all the time and I'm happy to provide it to her but just wanted to make sure it was normal. Unfortunately she starts at 12am and does this till 6am sometimes lol.

- She usually only drinks from one breast and falls asleep. The next time (which sometimes may be only 1/2 an hour later) she will drink from the other breast. I alternate them. Is this OK or do I need to get her to eat from both in one sitting? Sometimes she will drink from both like right now when she seems to be going through a growth spurt.

- If my latch is wrong now will it mean in a few weeks or months time it could affect the breastfeeding?

- At around what time do poopy diapers tend to go down in number - she does so many right now that I will probably start to worry when they decrease.

- And lastly my right breast is itchy - the actual breast as opposed to the nipple as much. I have been worried about thrush but besides the itchiness I can't seem to find any other symptom of any problem. My baby has no white patches in her mouth either. Any idea why it could be itchy? I have not been wearing a bra and been airing it most of the time so I don't think it is related to wearing anything.

Thankyou in advance!

Default Re: A few questions from a newbie

Well, I don't really have any answers for you...but I wanted to say welcome! Its wonderful that even though you don't have local support you are sticking with bf through the hard times, it is worth it!
    Married to my best friend since 2001 , Proud mom of my baby girl Ella 6/19/07

"A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world." John 16:21

Thankyou I was so happy to discover this forum when she was 2 days old. I was going through so much pain coupled with feeling wrecked from labour and no local help. I spent the next 4 days every moment on here, kellymom.com and dr. jack newmans site reading and watching and trying to get her latch fixed. I remember the first time she latched on and I didn't feel excruciating pain I was so happy! That was a big contrast to her 2nd day when I was sitting at night with barely any sleep about to cry as she wouldn't latch on properly. What a dramatic change a few weeks can make!

I hope to breastfeed her to 2 years or more. Hopefully she won't resist

I have a friend who is going to give birth early next year and I am giving her info so she won't go through the lack of help/information that I went through.

Quote Originally Posted by turando View Post
    Hiya
    I'm a mum to a 3 week old beautiful girl. There are no lactation consultants/laleche where I live locally so I am unable to get any help in real life so I'm reliant upon online sources to figure it all out.
    Congratulations! I am in the same boat - the only real help I got was from this website.

In the first few days we had some latching issues but we seem to be over them (after some nightmare days!) as she latches on and eats well.
    That's great. I had major latching issues as well. It took us 2 months to completely solve them.

- If she is producing enough wet/poopy diapers and gaining weight I don't need to worry about anything else do I in that department? She seems like a contented baby when she is full and when she is awake she is alert so I think she is ok.
    She sounds like she's doing fine! Poopy/wet diapers are the main way to tell if baby's getting enough.

- I am worried her latch is pretty shallow though it has gotten better since the first week. I was in a lot of pain every time she latched on in the first week as she seemed to only be sucking on my nipple. But now as she has gotten bigger it seems to be better. If her latch is wrong would I be in pain? I don't experience any pain when she eats or when she latches on like I did in the first week but her latch doesn't seem to be like what the pictures and videos say. Also her mouth is pretty little so I don't know how deeply she could latch on too. Maybe this will improve with time?
    You might be in pain if her latch were wrong. Sometimes babies just need to grow a little and get stronger in order to latch on better. Is she gulping when she's on? Can you hear swallowing sounds? Is your whole areola in her mouth?

- - She has been fussing the past few days and eating for hours on end - will eat for a few minutes, put her down and she'll start fussing 10 minutes later and eat again. I'm thinking she is going through a growth spurt? She just wants to eat all the time and I'm happy to provide it to her but just wanted to make sure it was normal. Unfortunately she starts at 12am and does this till 6am sometimes lol.
    This sounds totally normal.

She usually only drinks from one breast and falls asleep. The next time (which sometimes may be only 1/2 an hour later) she will drink from the other breast. I alternate them. Is this OK or do I need to get her to eat from both in one sitting? Sometimes she will drink from both like right now when she seems to be going through a growth spurt.
    Alternating breasts is fine. Both breasts at the same time is fine too. Every baby is different. Just make sure she's getting a full feed from it so she gets both the foremilk and hindmilk.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Sorry I ended that abruptly. I lost my internet connection and then got it back right away.

About your latch situation - do you still have pain at all? Why does your latch look different from pictures/videos?

Poopy diapers - they might change around 8 weeks when your feeding routine is a little more established. And they might not. I'm not sure, though -I can't remember exactly what I read about this.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about thrush. I'm sure another mama will post with loads of info.

Great job - you came to the right place for help and support. I couldn't have come this far without all these wonderful women.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Congratulations on your little one! These boards were a life-saver for me when DS was little

If she is producing enough wet/poopy diapers and gaining weight I don't need to worry about anything else do I in that department? She seems like a contented baby when she is full and when she is awake she is alert so I think she is ok.
    Put your mind at ease, Mama! It sounds like your LO is getting everything she needs :-)

I am worried her latch is pretty shallow though it has gotten better since the first week. I was in a lot of pain every time she latched on in the first week as she seemed to only be sucking on my nipple. But now as she has gotten bigger it seems to be better. If her latch is wrong would I be in pain? I don't experience any pain when she eats or when she latches on like I did in the first week but her latch doesn't seem to be like what the pictures and videos say. Also her mouth is pretty little so I don't know how deeply she could latch on too. Maybe this will improve with time?
    This was definitely our experience. As long as you're not experiencing pain (the other concern would be her not getting enough milk, but she obviously is), then the latch is working for you. It will help to ontinue to use "good latch" practices, like helping her take as much of the breast as possible, and unlatching and reattaching her if she slips down onto the nipple. As she gets bigger and more adept at nursing, it will be easier to get that "deep" latch.

She has been fussing the past few days and eating for hours on end - will eat for a few minutes, put her down and she'll start fussing 10 minutes later and eat again. I'm thinking she is going through a growth spurt? She just wants to eat all the time and I'm happy to provide it to her but just wanted to make sure it was normal. Unfortunately she starts at 12am and does this till 6am sometimes lol.
    Totally normal. It might be a growth spurt, or she might just want her mama! Either way is completely normal and healthy. Have you mastered side-lying nursing yet? That is sooooo nice because you can relax and even get a little nap while she nurses

She usually only drinks from one breast and falls asleep. The next time (which sometimes may be only 1/2 an hour later) she will drink from the other breast. I alternate them. Is this OK or do I need to get her to eat from both in one sitting? Sometimes she will drink from both like right now when she seems to be going through a growth spurt.
    This sounds exactly right.

And lastly my right breast is itchy - the actual breast as opposed to the nipple as much. I have been worried about thrush but besides the itchiness I can't seem to find any other symptom of any problem. My baby has no white patches in her mouth either. Any idea why it could be itchy? I have not been wearing a bra and been airing it most of the time so I don't think it is related to wearing anything.
    One reason for this is simply your tissue and skin itching due to the stretching from suddenly being filled with milk! Whenever I worried about the possibility of thrush, I took acidophilus supplements until it went away. Did it really ward off thrush? I have no idea But I worried less!
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.