Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gettng concerned

Unhappy Gettng concerned

Okay this is about my left side again...

I have pumped and tried to stimulate milk production...I have been trying to nurse DD from my left breast more often, and first during feedings...yet she still doesn't seem to be getting any satisfaction from that breast...and it never feels like its full or getting full of milk. It always stays soft and squishy...whereas my right breast is always ALWAYS full of milk....I know she's getting what she needs as far as nutrients go...because her diaper count is great and she's definitely gaining...I don't have a scale to put her on, but I can feel it when I hold the booger....

But my right boob is significantly larger than my left...and my self esteem and self image is suffering. I already had issues with my self esteem, but its worrying me more now...because I feel as if its really noticeable. My DH says its not, but I feel that it is, because I can move my arms beside of my body and my left arm doesn't brush my breast like my right arm does....*sigh*

What can I do? Whats wrong with me? Why do I feel like such a failure?

Default Re: Gettng concerned

This happened to me, too. It will work itself out over the next few months. Don't worry about what it looks like, you are feeding your baby, doing a great job may I add, and that's what is important. next month, it might be that the other boob is fuller now! Put her on the breast that is fuller first, each time, letting her nurse from that one. Switch her to the other for about 3 min, then switch her back. I found that my girl was so immersed into nursing by about 5 to 8 min into it, she didn't care which one she got at that point, but was ALWAYS picky about wanting the left one right at first.

First of all, you are not a failure! You are successfully breastfeeding your daughter, and you know you are a good mother.

What's the chance that you ever had surgery or some other kind of injury to the less productive breast? Have you mentioned your concerns to a trusted healthcare provider?

Rest assured that it is possible to fully breastfeed using only one breast. Mother's who have lost a breast to cancer have been able to fully breastfeed their babies.

Can you elaborate on your baby's nursing pattern a bit? How does she behave at each breast? Are you having any nipple pain or breast soreness on either side? Have you tried different nursing positions on the less productive side?

Hang in there,

Tiana

Quote Originally Posted by LLLTiana View Post
    First of all, you are not a failure! You are successfully breastfeeding your daughter, and you know you are a good mother.

What's the chance that you ever had surgery or some other kind of injury to the less productive breast? Have you mentioned your concerns to a trusted healthcare provider?

Rest assured that it is possible to fully breastfeed using only one breast. Mother's who have lost a breast to cancer have been able to fully breastfeed their babies.

Can you elaborate on your baby's nursing pattern a bit? How does she behave at each breast? Are you having any nipple pain or breast soreness on either side? Have you tried different nursing positions on the less productive side?

Hang in there,

Tiana
    I've never had any sort of surgery, only time I have ever had stitches was after giving birth...

She nurses every 2-3 hours, within the past two days its actually extended to sometimes 4 hours....she takes to both breasts with ease, no fuss no fight...and she latched on very quickly after birth. Neither of my breasts are sore, no nipple pain at all...

I've tried laying down and nursing her, football, cradle, cross cradle...I've tried just about every way there is...she latches on great, but I just don't think she's getting enough milk from that breast, because it never gets "engorged" like the right breast does....I know it has milk in it....

When I pump I get less than an ounce out of the left side, and I got almost 4 ounces out of the right breast once....

Thanks for your answers!

You might try doing breast compressions on your left side. Start her on the left side as long as she is willing, and gently squeeze your breast using a c-shaped hand as she nurses to get the milk flowing. That will hopefully convince her to nurse longer on that side and increase it's milk production. Switch to the right when she becomes too frustrated to continue, but try putting her on the left again at the end of the feeding if she wants to comfort suck.

HTH. Hang in there!

Tiana

Quote Originally Posted by LLLTiana View Post
    Thanks for your answers!

You might try doing breast compressions on your left side. Start her on the left side as long as she is willing, and gently squeeze your breast using a c-shaped hand as she nurses to get the milk flowing. That will hopefully convince her to nurse longer on that side and increase it's milk production. Switch to the right when she becomes too frustrated to continue, but try putting her on the left again at the end of the feeding if she wants to comfort suck.

HTH. Hang in there!

Tiana

Thanks, I will try that at her next feeding.

You're welcome!

Tiana

I find that my baby will nurse longer on the lef side- her non-preferred side- if I walk around while she nurses. She squirms on that side lately if I try and nurse while seated, but if I get up and walk around I hear her start to swallow (and actually hear the milk squirting sometimes!) Maybe try switching positions on that side might help you too.

If it makes you feel better I have the same lopsidedness- have had it with all 3 of my kids and it does resolve itself when you eventually wean. In the meanwhile you can a;ways put a breast pad in your bra to make them look more even.

hang in there!