Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping and thrush?

Default pumping and thrush?

We have thrush, and suddenly I'm having to fight the Lactina to get it to work. My output has dropped almost in half. I've had struggles getting flanges big enough ... presently using the 30m but it, too, rubs on the sides. Anyway, I think the thrush might be causing the nipples to swell even more and the pump to work less than before. Is this a reasonable guess?

Default Re: pumping and thrush?

I do not know, but I am sorry for your struggle.

yes!
    my nipples were swollen with thrush, and i needed a larger size horn. the regular size seemed to rub and cause bits of skin to rub off. we're still battling with the thrush, but the swelling has gone down, and i can use my regular size again. so sorry you have to deal with this... we're 4 weeks into it, and still having ups and downs.

We just had thrush. My supply went down at first then picked back up after we started treatment. My lc said that lo wasn't nursing as well because his mouth hurt. I did notice that he was nursing more but not as aggressively so that made sense. I never had signs of having it so I don't know how that might have affected my supply. I hope things get better fast.

If you're having pain with pumping, it could be inhibiting your let-down. Aside from that, if you strongly feel swelling is the issue, I would suggest trying the largest size (glass) or consider hand expression, instead.

Keep us updated!

My output dropped b/c of the pain, my milk just wouldn't let down as well. It helped me to take 600mg of ibuprofen and put a warm compress on before I started, but really it didn't get better till the thrush was finally gone (after 2 months of fighting it!). You could try adding in hand expression while you're treating it maybe. I hope it clears up soon!