Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medela PIS tubing

Default Medela PIS tubing

Does the tubing get cleaned each time? I cant seem to find anything that says for sure if that gets cleaned each use or not in the booklet.
    It says anything coming in contact with the breast or milk and I cant figure out if that is considered just that.

Thanks in advance to my probably very dumb question.
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

Default Re: Medela PIS tubing

good question

cause its hard to get the water totally out if you wash it!

I washed my tubing and it ended up getting moldy. I bought new & I won't be washing or sterilizing it. I'll just make sure to run the pump until the tubing looks dry (if it even looks a little damp).

Thanks! I sterilized it for the first use and have used it twice and let it run dry each time because of a bit of condensation.
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

NO I DON'T THINK YOU WASH IT UNLESS YOU BACK UP BM INTO THE LINE AND TUBING... THEN YOU WASH IT AND RUN IT WITH THE TUBING ON TO DRY THE LINE. ATLEAST THATS WHAT I DO

I definitely do not think you should clean the tubing each time. I sterilize them with the Quick Steam bags by Medela about once a month, maybe I should do it more but milk never gets in there.
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

An LC who did a breastfeeding class told us that you can just wash it and hang it to dry. You don't have to sterilize it because milk doesn't go in the tube. I tried to sterilize mine and i ended up burning the tubes. My fault, placed it too long in the water.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

Those micro-steam bags I mentioned are excellent, they specifically are made for the tubing and the other parts. I'd pick one up and try it, you put it in the microwave for a few minutes with a few ounces of water (detailed instructions are on the bag). It is technically possible for milk to go into the tubes, which is why you shouldn't share pumps - milk may enter the pump through the tubes.
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Quote Originally Posted by christinem View Post
    Does the tubing get cleaned each time? I cant seem to find anything that says for sure if that gets cleaned each use or not in the booklet.
    It says anything coming in contact with the breast or milk and I cant figure out if that is considered just that.

Thanks in advance to my probably very dumb question.
    The IBCLC I saw stated that it was not nec to clean the tubing; however, she said if you wanted to, to use the Medela Steam Clean bags because they have instructions on how to do so.