Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 week old now only interested in one breast?

Default 7 week old now only interested in one breast?

My 7 week old son has been doing fine with breast feeding. He has always been very anxious to get as much as he can out of both. Now all of a sudden for the past few days, he eats off one and then is completely uninterested in the other. I try everything to get him to eat but he will not open his mouth. He just looks at me. He seems satisfied and full. Of course I am also worried about my supply since he has now made himself block feed. Should I worry?

Default Re: 7 week old now only interested in one breast?

"Finish the first breast first" is what LLL likes to say. You can offer the other side but if he seems satisfied and full and he's gaining fine then it sounds like you are doing great. Have you had supply issues?

Mary

Default Re: 7 week old now only interested in one breast?

Thanks. I have not had any supply issues at all. Milk came in good and if anything it is almost an over supply. I would like to do additional pumping for times that I have to be away for longer than 2 hours. Is it OK for me to pump the other breast while he eats on one? My milk sometimes comes down twice per breast per feeding. Is that normal?

I did bf by other son, but it was 5 years ago and I don't remember. I think I started suplimenting formula early beacuse I had to work. This time I am staying home so it is a lot different.