Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feedings duration

Cool Feedings duration

My baby's feeding duration is very short. 5 minutes on one breast and he seems satisfied. Is that ok?

Default Re: Feedings duration

how old is your baby?

My DD only nurses 5 minutes on one side and I was wondering the same thing. She is 8 weeks. Sometimes she will go 10 minutes at night

Some babies are just very fast and efficiant from the get-go. When I was in the hospital with DD2 after she was born the nurses all insisted on 10 min per breast, use both breasts. One time I said she ate for 8 minutes and only on one side they got after me. So, from then on I just lied and told them she nursed for 10 min on each breast at every feed. Sometimes she would nurse longer, but typically she eats in under 10 minutes. We've had marathon sessions, and we've had ones so quick that nobody believes I fed her, it all depends on the day. There was one time at my parents' house that I went into the bedroom to change her and feed her. We were back out fairly quickly and my parents asked "Did you even feed her? Or did you just change her diaper?" LOL I had done both and was done very fast.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

My LO is 3 mths old now and has become a very efficient eater. I would say 5-6 minutes on one side and he's done. He eats approx. every 2.5 hours in the day and once during the night.

I am so glad others are the same way! My DD has been feeding avg. 7 mins and one side only since 3 weeks old. I had been told she should be nursing a min. of 20 mins and using both sides. I guess you can lead a baby to the breast but you can't make them drink (especially if they are already full)!

I didn't read the pp, but my DD has pretty much always ate for about 5 minutes just from 1 breast per feeding. Ever since we came home from the hospital, she has been a very quick, efficient eater. Vigorous! And she's always had plenty of poopy and wet diapers. It's actually quite nice when we're out and about...just takes a few minutes for her to eat and she's done!

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

it is soooo good to read these post. My DS is 4 days old and will only latch and eat for about 5 mins at each feeding. He has enough wet and poopy diapers so I am thinking/hoping that this is ok.

My little guy will be 7 months old tomorrow and has never nursed for longer than 5 minutes -- and he was 17 pounds at his 6 month check up!