Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Period then No PERIOD???

Unhappy Period then No PERIOD???

My son is 16 months, I have continued to breastfeed him but very little. Once I started weaning him, and cut his feedings down to 1-3 breastfeedings a day, I got my menstrual cycle back. At the same time when my period returned I switched from Ortho Micronor to Estrostep Fe. When I first started it 3 months ago I had 2 periods in a month. Since September my period has disappeared and there is no sign of it. I got cramps but nothing. In between the swtiching of pills I did not stop birth control or anything of the sort. Of course I took a pregnancy test and it was negative. Since I am still freaking out I took another last week and it was negative. I am still feeding my son maybe a little more often now. I still do not feel at ease. I tried for many days to reach my GYN, but she hasn't been in. I will be able to reach her tomorrow but has anyone heard of getting a period and it stopping due to increased breastfeeding. I know it could be the new pill screwing up my cycle. I just wish I could be more at ease about not being pregnant, but unfortunately the negative tests are not making me feel any better.

Default Re: Period then No PERIOD???

Are you taking the "empty" pills, the ones that don't have the hormones? If you skip these, then you would not have a period.

Sorry, I can't be of much help, but I don't think it's too much to worry about. After switching birth control types or other changes (e.g. frequency of breastfeeding) can affect your cycle.

Plus those home pregnancy tests are pretty accurate at the point that you've missed your period. I think.

Several Moms in my Mommy group had this happen to them. One had her period come and go a few times before it returned for good. For her, it seemed to be just a matter of it starting when feeding decreased slightly for a time, and then it disappearing when she resumed her normal schedule.

Thanks for the information. I am going to try to reach my doctor again, just for some piece of mind. As long as I know these tests are correct I feel better. I actually have never had a incorrect pregnancy test. So that makes me feel a bit better.

For what's it's worth, cycles can be wacked, so don't worry too much about not actually menstruating. After I went off B-control when we were ready to start trying for a baby, my cycles were kooky. Got to the point where I thought I was "broken" cause I wasn't getting periods for months. Then much to my surprise - yep, you CAN ovulate with no regular periods around it...and WHAHOO - happy Xmas Eve, I was preggers!

That said, you can also NOT be pregnant, and still not bleed. Don't know if I'm ovulating by now (Brian's 15 mo's come Nov 22), but I'm cramping here and there (don't know if it's menstrual cycles or what) and still NOT bleeding. And YES, I took a couple pregnancy tests just to be sure!

Cheers,

Jen